Brake cable cutting through carbon fork!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
Totally agree with @Smokin Joe

I have the same bike and only realised about the issue after a year of riding thanks to a post on here. I think/hope I've caught mine at the superficial damage phase so have stuck some protective pads on the forks and wrapped a bit of electrical tape round the cable outers. Not sure if you could still get away with doing the same?
Thanks for the advice, but we shouldn't have to should we!? I'll take it to halfords and demand they sort it but will use your suggestions if I get no luck from those who are really at fault.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The fact that you set it up yourself and presumably did not go back for a six week check could go against you. I would not go in with all guns blazing (yet), but start with a softly, softly approach.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to differ from all the posts above but..... you've had the bike two years and you've only just noticed this damage?

Something as safety critical as a fork needs to be inspected every time you clean the bike, of if you can't be bothered to clean it, every month when you inspect the tyres and wheels and adjust the brakes.

That's what I would tell you if I was the retailer.

Sorry to differ from all the posts above but..... you've had the bike two years and you've only just noticed this damage?

Something as safety critical as a fork needs to be inspected every time you clean the bike, of if you can't be bothered to clean it, every month when you inspect the tyres and wheels and adjust the brakes.

Now when OP mentions the word "bike" he is referring to one of these things: (altho not that exact one)

mango%20bikes%20point%20r%20r350.jpg

I believe you are confusing "bike" with one of these:

spaceshuttleemain3.jpg

(that is NOT a bike)

They (bikes) dont need such rigorous checking that you imply.

Drago

Legendary Member

Absolutely. Not doing his BESTCOPA checks before each ride. Every training regime from Bikeability upwards stresses the importance of either pre ride or daily checks. Would have picked this problem up the moment the damage to the outer paint became visible.

vickster

Legendary Member
Safety aspects aside, I have had this bike (boardman cx) for less than two years. Will this damage be covered under warranty? Got a vague "frame and forks" warranty image in my head.
Ask Halfords, they'll be the ones who actually know.

I Must put heli tape on the Boardman CX before I ride again. And the other bikes too

To be fair though, I clean and inspect my bike weekly and became aware of this issue very early on, but in my naivety I thought the cables were just marking the paint on the forks and, as the cables hid the marks anyway, didn't see fit to take any action. I had no idea that the plastic could actually cut through the carbon until I read a post about the potential longer term damage on here.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Wish I'd have read one of those posts before, really felt pretty sick when I saw it, then on both sides!!! Feel like a bit of an idiot now. Such a preventable problem.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I had a similar problem with my MX Sport, not noticing until the cable had worn through the paint on the fork.
Mentioned it to Halfords and was told 'they all do that' and offered some protective stickers to buy even though the damage had been done.
I let it go as they're metal forks and it's on a bike I only really use off road now. Not hugely happy about it though as I'd have happily bought the stickers if they'd mentioned it...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you haven't found that in two years ?? Cable rub is common on all bikes. I have heli tape or simple electrical tape on the cable rub areas. You'll be surprised how much cables can rub into aluminium as well.

As a bear minimum it rubs paint away. Simple tape stops the problem, and if that get's worn, then you just replace. Cables get dirty and that dirt acts as an abrasive, and carbon isn't very abrasion resistant.

boydj

Legendary Member
It helps too to minimise the length of the outer cables coming from the handlebar so that the cables don't reach the fork and any rubbing is confined to the head tube.

Proto

Legendary Member
To minimise cable rub, with externally cabled bikes, i run the gear cables to the opposite side of the bike and cross the inners under the down tube. I have my rear brake on the right for the same reason. If done carefully there is no contact between frame and cable outers.

Top Bottom