Brake cable talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thats impressive. I think.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Who bothers with some toe-in?

I thought “Toe-in” was how (BMX ?) riders with no brakes get to slow down……

presta

Guru
What do you do with the records, other than record them?

Mostly it's just interest, but it enables you to see if components are lasting well or wearing out quickly. It's the maintenance record that enables me to see that I get as good or better mileage out of chains as others do but without any obsessive cleaning. I know that I get an average of about 13,000 miles out of bar end shifters, so when I went on tour with levers that had done 13,000 miles I ordered a spare set to take with me. Fortunately I didn't need them, because Spa Cycles didn't deliver them on time.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Mostly it's just interest, but it enables you to see if components are lasting well or wearing out quickly. It's the maintenance record that enables me to see that I get as good or better mileage out of chains as others do but without any obsessive cleaning. I know that I get an average of about 13,000 miles out of bar end shifters, so when I went on tour with levers that had done 13,000 miles I ordered a spare set to take with me. Fortunately I didn't need them, because Spa Cycles didn't deliver them on time.

I find the value of my records is maybe 50% legit practical worth and 50% feeding the OCD monster.. certainly handy to know what's been done when, how it was done and any relevant measurements. It also helps me keep track of what I've spent, as you say how long things last and what parts I have spare. I have bike geometry summaries for each bike, allowing me to quickly set them up to approximate those I know already fit me well.

I have a puncture log which has confirmed that tubeless would be of little to no benefit on the road bike, tourer or rotter (one puncture between all three over 3.5k total miles) but potentially very beneficial on the gravel bike (13 punctures over 4500 miles; nearly all from pinches or penetration by thorns when off road).

Drago

Legendary Member
I have some sympathy. I keep anal MPG and fuel cost records on a spreadsheet. I record the mileage of every car journey and the price of fuel, and every Sunday feed the computer and the spreadsheet works out the cost of every single journey.

I don't know why, I don't need them, I never look back at them, I just do it and have been doing somfor years.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have some sympathy. I keep anal MPG and fuel cost records on a spreadsheet. I record the mileage of every car journey and the price of fuel, and every Sunday feed the computer and the spreadsheet works out the cost of every single journey.

I don't know why, I don't need them, I never look back at them, I just do it and have been doing somfor years.

Same... although mine's restricted to mileage, fuel cost and quantity recorded when I fill up, so that I can keep an eye on fuel economy and expenditure. Think you've out-OCD'd me by recording every journey however!

presta

Guru
I find the value of my records is maybe 50% legit practical worth and 50% feeding the OCD monster.. certainly handy to know what's been done when, how it was done and any relevant measurements. It also helps me keep track of what I've spent, as you say how long things last and what parts I have spare. I have bike geometry summaries for each bike, allowing me to quickly set them up to approximate those I know already fit me well.

I have a puncture log which has confirmed that tubeless would be of little to no benefit on the road bike, tourer or rotter (one puncture between all three over 3.5k total miles) but potentially very beneficial on the gravel bike (13 punctures over 4500 miles; nearly all from pinches or penetration by thorns when off road).

I haven't routinely logged punctures other than in 2000, when I had a total of 25 punctures between 16.1.00 and 20.8.00. I suddenly started getting lots for no reason, and then they suddenly stopped again for no reason.

I do log:
  • Walk miles and feet of ascent, since about 1990
  • Cycle miles, since I got my first computer in 1992
  • Everything I spend, since I decided to retire in 1997, at the age of 38.
  • Daily calorie intake, since 2003 when I got a HRM with a calorie counter that piqued my interest.
  • Daily weight, to calculate metabolic rate from calorie intake.
  • Dietary nutrition, since a bowel tumour piqued my interest in it.
  • Inside and outside temperature at the house, at 6 minute intervals from 2018, when I wanted some data to validate my thermal model of the house and heating system.
I also have a list of all the youth hostels and train stations I've ever used.

Top Bottom