Brake cable talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Are people changing their brake cables yearly?
I’ve found mine to have lost performance but on inspection they look ok.
Do they stretch? I mean it’s not the 70’s. Are the cheap eBay ones as good as Shimano?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I don't change the cables every decade, unless there is a problem, let alone yearly.
Cables do stretch a teeny bit, but this can be easily overcome with normal adjustment.
As long as the cables move freely through the outer they should not need replacing.
Could it be the brake blocks/pads that need cleaning, or replacing, along with dirty rims that could be causing you reduced performance.

Sharky

Guru
I don't, but a former club mate told me he changed them every year.

But then I lost my front brake, when the front brake cable snapped going down hill!

I managed to stop with my rear brake, but it took at least twice the stopping distance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP's brakes have 'lost performance'. Please specify what meant: braking effectiveness? If that, it's not the cables.

Cables do not stretch, other than elastically, when tension is applied, iaw Hooke's Law. They return to their original length when tension is removed.
Brake cable outers compress (you can get 'compressionless' ones - they aren't but as good as) but it does not affect the operation of rim brakes. 'Compressionless' outers are recommended for mechanical disc brakes to optimise their modulation.
What some can take for 'stretch' is how, after installation, the ferrules 'settle' under compression and that reveals itself as 'cable stretch'. Recognition of this risk allows the fettler to mitigate it.
I would not buy 'e bay' ones: buy them from a reputable bike shop; on-line or, better, your LBS. Must be 'stainless' (not galvanised).

If the outers remain apparently rust free, in good nick and low friction, brake cables can last for ages. I would replace them (cable and outer together) either:
a. When cable release (normally friction increase) drops, not on a schedule
b. When threads of the braided cable fracture or spike out (invariably where the cable's been clamped or under the BB shell). This is worth an occasional check: finger and thumbs are sensitive, ime. But because brake cables are mostly clamp and forget, ime front gear cables are much more likely to be damaged in this way (repeated reclamping).
I'd be interested to hear where (on the cable) @Sharky 's brake cable "snapped".

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Everything is new and clean. Modulation is just more spongey than it used to be. Could be outers need replacing too.
I push blocks tight to rim, wind out the adjuster 4 times. Tighten cable with 4mm hex. Then wind adjustment back in to create a nice little gap.
Braking happens it’s just the travel on the levers feel too much for my liking.

roley poley

Über Member
Also be aware of the difference between brake cable and gear cable housing or outer ..they are built differently ..putting a gear cable outer on a brake set up can cause problems as they cant handle the compression they are required to take

I think the mechanic changed mine in Sept 21 (about 6,000 miles ago) on the bike he looked at and I've felt no degrading. It internally routed and IME there might be a little stretch but they'll last. Where as external ones tend not too but I run them until the day they snap or I see/feel damage (unless I have a significant event coming up).

presta

Guru
I've just checked my maintenance record.

In a total of 45,744 miles, I've put one rear inner cable on at 20,722 miles because it was worn out, and then I took the opportunity to
renew the whole lot (inner, outer, front, rear) with Shimano cables when I changed the handlebars at 29,470 miles.

Over the same period, I've renewed 5 front and 7 rear gear cables.

That's it.

Top Bottom