Brake calliper design/ research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce4321

Regular
Hi guys,
I am a HNC Mechanical engineering student, and as my final year project I have decided to research into brake callipers and particularly focusing on areas that need improvement, with the view to produce my own pair of callipers. I am not looking to re-invent the wheel with this project but I believe will be a challenging and rewarding project.

having already posted on another forum and met with negative comments, suggesting its a waste of time, I hope I could find more constructive feed back here.

I have a good knowledge of materials, design and manufacturing and have access to all technology and machinery I will need, e.eg. 3D printer, cnc machine, CAD software.

I would love to hear your feed back and opinions of areas that need improving, and what style/ design you prefer.

Also I am new to forums so bare with me. I look forward to any feedback.
Thanks

Which type of caliper are you looking to redesign? Cable operated mechanical? Cable operated hydraulic or full hydraulic system?

I like dual pivot calipers. Could you do something that is more aero than current designs? All the reviews have the current dura ace calipers offering the best amount f feel ans stopping power, maybe have a look at them and see what makes them better than other similar calipers.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
I like dual pivot calipers. Could you do something that is more aero than current designs? All the reviews have the current dura ace calipers offering the best amount f feel ans stopping power, maybe have a look at them and see what makes them better than other similar calipers.

I also like the areo designs, I had thought about incorporating some sort of 'fairing' to cover the front calliper, but that would probably be leading me astray from the original target. I like the design of the shimano dura ace 9010 direct mount calliper, but as a dual pivot calliper. I guess my only limits are that of a CNC machine and my imagination , so anything goes. I shall post some screenshots of the CAD model I have done when its finished.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...irect-mount-aero-road-brake-calliper-ec045785

Drago

Legendary Member
Mechanical, eh? Opposed or single piston? You doing your own pads too, or using someone else's existing pads?

Heat isn't such problem with no fluid to boil. Light weight has been done. How about some aspect of the design to improve feel and modulation?

Citius

having already posted on another forum and met with negative comments, suggesting its a waste of time, I hope I could find more constructive feed back here.

There's probably a good reason why people were so negative. The market is about to make a wholesale move to disk calipers anyway, so re-inventing the rim brake at this point in time does seem a bit pointless. No offence, but I doubt if you are going to be able to improve much on the combined design/engineering expertise of the likes of SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo, Tektro and others anyway.

The other thing I suggest you should consider as an engineering student is listening to feedback, rather than disregarding it - which strongly suggests you are already approaching this topic with a closed mind.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I automatically assumed you were considering disc brake calipers. What is the rationale behind considering rim braking as the world is increasingly shifting to discs?

Will you be using a cad/cam system to program the cnc machine? If you need any pointers for the machining and/or design let me know, its my day job :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good project. How about some lovely designed dual calliper, with the power to stop. Hide the pivot bolts etc.

Couldn't care less about disc, there are many folk who don't want them, pros included.

Lightweight has been done and they are ugly. I'd like a return so something that's great to look at and stops well. Campag Delta's that actually stop you ? Or a modern version of the Shimano Dura Ace/600 AX callipers ?

Tim Hall

I also like the areo designs, I had thought about incorporating some sort of 'fairing' to cover the front calliper, but that would probably be leading me astray from the original target. I like the design of the shimano dura ace 9010 direct mount calliper, but as a dual pivot calliper. I guess my only limits are that of a CNC machine and my imagination , so anything goes. I shall post some screenshots of the CAD model I have done when its finished.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...irect-mount-aero-road-brake-calliper-ec045785
You want aero design? Try the Campagnola Delta. Looks fantastic, wasn't that good at the actual stopping bit.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
There's probably a good reason why people were so negative. The market is about to make a wholesale move to disk calipers anyway, so re-inventing the rim brake at this point in time does seem a bit pointless. No offence, but I doubt if you are going to be able to improve much on the combined design/engineering expertise of the likes of SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo, Tektro and others anyway.

The other thing I suggest you should consider as an engineering student is listening to feedback, rather than disregarding it - which strongly suggests you are already approaching this topic with a closed mind.

I am aware of the current change over from rim to disc brakes within industry, in my initial post I said I wasn't looking to re-invent. This project is not solely about producing something superior, its also about me demonstrating my knowledge and understanding of the process of designing and producing a product.

I am fully open to all feed back, that is why I have come to a forum, but just being told its a waste of time isn't particularly constructive, however I can completely understand why anyone may think it is a waste of time as my resources are nothing compared to that of manufacturers, but as I have to do a 'project' for my final year at college I might aswell make something I'm intrested in.

the feed back I have already received has already lead to change in design and thought process, as it has helped highlight areas and things to consider that I hadn't already.

thank yo for your feed back, I tried to reply with out sounding like I'm trying to start an argument, its not the easiest on here

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
I automatically assumed you were considering disc brake calipers. What is the rationale behind considering rim braking as the world is increasingly shifting to discs?

although the world is shifiting to disc brakes and I think there great, but I much prefer a road bike with rim brakes from visual point of view, however the disc brakes on my MTB are excellent.

Top Bottom