Brake calliper design/ research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
Good project. How about some lovely designed dual calliper, with the power to stop. Hide the pivot bolts etc.

Couldn't care less about disc, there are many folk who don't want them, pros included.

Lightweight has been done and they are ugly. I'd like a return so something that's great to look at and stops well. Campag Delta's that actually stop you ? Or a modern version of the Shimano Dura Ace/600 AX callipers ?

I hadn't seen them until now, there's something strangely appealing about both of them, a smaller 'tidier' looking set would be great.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
Will you be using a cad/cam system to program the cnc machine? If you need any pointers for the machining and/or design let me know, its my day job :smile:
I will be, I've started modelling them in solidworks, ill bare it in mind, thanks

Citius

I am aware of the current change over from rim to disc brakes within industry, in my initial post I said I wasn't looking to re-invent. This project is not solely about producing something superior, its also about me demonstrating my knowledge and understanding of the process of designing and producing a product.

I am fully open to all feed back, that is why I have come to a forum, but just being told its a waste of time isn't particularly constructive, however I can completely understand why anyone may think it is a waste of time as my resources are nothing compared to that of manufacturers, but as I have to do a 'project' for my final year at college I might aswell make something I'm intrested in.

the feed back I have already received has already lead to change in design and thought process, as it has helped highlight areas and things to consider that I hadn't already.

thank yo for your feed back, I tried to reply with out sounding like I'm trying to start an argument, its not the easiest on here

Look at it another way. Good engineering is about designing stuff that meets a need and stands the test of time. In a few years time, caliper rim brakes (including yours) will mostly be in the recycling bin. It's a bit like designing a better biplane, when everyone else has already moved to making monoplanes.

If you are interested in bicycles and/or braking, then design a better disk caliper, maybe, or a new bottom bracket standard... ;)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
although the world is shifiting to disc brakes and I think there great, but I much prefer a road bike with rim brakes from visual point of view, however the disc brakes on my MTB are excellent.

That sounds as good a reason as anyone could ask for.

Pretty centre pulls then, ones that can shed good dollops of water or crud right from the front door and give solid predictable stopping in the very wet. If you could fashion some v long drop ones too I'd buy them to upgrade my geriatric Dahon.

You could have a little cottage industry making modern, quality brakes that would look right on a vintage bike

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Look at it another way. Good engineering is about designing stuff that meets a need and stands the test of time. In a few years time, caliper rim brakes (including yours) will mostly be in the recycling bin. It's a bit like designing a better biplane, when everyone else has already moved to making monoplanes.

If you are interested in the bicycles and braking, then design a better disk caliper, maybe, or a new bottom bracket standard... ;)
Citius - he's already said it isn't just about a new product (and from my memory of my final year engineering project, I'd say the same). Several posters above have given reasons why they think he doesn't need to be concentrating on disk callipers. Leave it there, eh? (and yes, this is from me with my moderator hat on)

And on the subject of better biplanes, these were designed long after most people had switched to monoplanes:
upload_2015-10-13_19-23-19.png

Drago

Legendary Member
How about a mechanical facsimile of the Magura hydraulic rim caliper? Instead of working the caliper arms the cable could work a piston instead.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
Citius, thank tyou for your feedback and other suggestions for other projects/products, I have however already commited to this particular project and to change it now would throw my plans/ schedule out.

Citius

Citius, thank tyou for your feedback and other suggestions for other projects/products, I have however already commited to this particular project and to change it now would throw my plans/ schedule out.

So it was already a done deal before you posted then? That's good to know ;)

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
I had selected a project already, the whole reason for coming to this forum was for peoples ideas, thoughts and improvments they could think of. As I have an academic year to complete it I had to choose a project early enough to allow enough time.

Moderators

Legendary Member
This is to remind you all that the thread is about suggestions on what needs improving in a brake caliper, not what the thread author should be designing instead.

Please keep replies polite and on topic from this point onwards.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
Have a look at some of the TRP calipers.
Will you also be making the springs?

http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1031&catid=182&subcat=0
I see, they can be mounted either in front or behind the forks. they look far better behind with the cable coming out the side like that.
as for the springs I will initialy source some and then once proved the calliper prehaps look in to having them manufactured. on other bikes ive ridden, (the brake shave been of a slightly different set up) I have like the spings to be particularly stiff and tighter than others I know of, so I would like to have some made.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Weight v stopping power v aero for performance orientated calipers. Not forgetting looks. You will be amazed at how shallow some of us are when it comes to our bikes. I have a set of cnc machined ultralight calipers with titanium finishing kit . Lighter than Dura Ace or Sram Red. Main reason for buying them was they came in a lovely anodised red. :girldance:

Top Bottom