Brake calliper design/ research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That could be your starting point. A brake that's light, works well and looks incredible.
Not necessarily a copy of, say, Campag Delta or old-school Shimano, but something amazing.

e-rider

crappy member
Bruce, once you have completed your project and written it up make sure you correct all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors!!!

I think looks are the main selling point. Unfortunately how they work does not feature high up on a lot of people's priorities. Luckily, if you are cnc machining them you can make them look very pretty.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be interested to see if anyone can come up with a new design for hub brakes, especially in the world of e-bikes where regenerative power is an option.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK, what are my views on my dual pivot callipers? I'm quite happy with the stopping power, the looks, and the weight. I'm less happy with their ability to release the wheel - if running 28mm tyres I have to let the tyre down. I also find fitting new cables and blocks a right fiddle. Not as much of a fiddle as setting up old centre-pulls, or single pivot sidepulls that wouldn't centre, but annoying nonetheless. I used to have one of those "third hand" gismos for holding the brakes shut, but I lost it.

So maybe a bit of attention to the ergonomics of installation and adjustment (cables, blocks and centring). Although I fear the result of that would be a bit gimmicky. (You may end up re-inventing the "third hand"!).

I remember my final year project at university. It investigated a now discarded theory relating to DNA sequences. My conclusion - backed by detailed stats and lots of work was that I couldn't find any evidence for it, just noise. I got rave reviews for it (unusually for my rather lacklustre academic career). Which just goes to show that even if you don't come up with an amazing quantum leap improvement in brake callipers, but work diligently and demonstrate your skills then that will be a success in itself.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
I think looks are the main selling point. Unfortunately how they work does not feature high up on a lot of people's priorities. Luckily, if you are cnc machining them you can make them look very pretty.
unfortunately, the best brakes in the world could be ugly and people (probably myself included) would go for something that looks better.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
OK, what are my views on my dual pivot callipers? I'm quite happy with the stopping power, the looks, and the weight. I'm less happy with their ability to release the wheel - if running 28mm tyres I have to let the tyre down. I also find fitting new cables and blocks a right fiddle. Not as much of a fiddle as setting up old centre-pulls, or single pivot sidepulls that wouldn't centre, but annoying nonetheless. I used to have one of those "third hand" gismos for holding the brakes shut, but I lost it.

So maybe a bit of attention to the ergonomics of installation and adjustment (cables, blocks and centring). Although I fear the result of that would be a bit gimmicky. (You may end up re-inventing the "third hand"!).

I remember my final year project at university. It investigated a now discarded theory relating to DNA sequences. My conclusion - backed by detailed stats and lots of work was that I couldn't find any evidence for it, just noise. I got rave reviews for it (unusually for my rather lacklustre academic career). Which just goes to show that even if you don't come up with an amazing quantum leap improvement in brake callipers, but work diligently and demonstrate your skills then that will be a success in itself.
Perhaps a calliper that opens further than most to allow for bigger tyres, I found that even with 23mm tyres there isn't much room for much bigger tyres, ill defiantly make that a feature.

You're right, based on a previous, lower level project I did a few years ago, you don't have to have produced something ground breaking, my project management will play a massive part in the end result. Also almost half of the final grade is based on a presentation, it just goes to show its not all about whats made.

OP
OP
B

bruce4321

Regular
Weight v stopping power v aero for performance orientated calipers. Not forgetting looks. You will be amazed at how shallow some of us are when it comes to our bikes. I have a set of cnc machined ultralight calipers with titanium finishing kit . Lighter than Dura Ace or Sram Red. Main reason for buying them was they came in a lovely anodised red. :girldance:
Which callipers are they? I think it goes to show a little bull**** goes a very long way

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Are they any good at stopping you? It would be cheaper to buy the gold or silver and have them stripped and anodised in a colour of ypur chosing than paying the prices for what I assume are the more popular colours.
Seem good. A little different to set up than a standard style caliper, but stopping power is fine.

Top Bottom