Brake lever position on the road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Well think I may have a solution. Had a bit of a furtle and rotated the bars slightly forward which gives a more comfortable position on the drops and going to get some of the spacers to lessen the reach for the brakes ( thanks sight-pin). Just need the snow and ice to shift now!

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Hi there
Well think I may have a solution. Had a bit of a furtle and rotated the bars slightly forward which gives a more comfortable position on the drops and going to get some of the spacers to lessen the reach for the brakes ( thanks sight-pin). Just need the snow and ice to shift now!
Hi there,
Chrissie had a very similar problem on her new (first) drop bar road bike. I not only moved the bars but also added spacers but be aware that the spacers need to be dedicated to the type of brake/shifter. I ordered some universal ones from Evans but they were not much use on Chrissie's bike (still have them in the drawer I think if you want them). In the end I was given (free) some of the standard, removable rubber spacers and by cutting them down I added an extra one, thereby doubling them up (all bike shops will have these kicking about). This has worked fine. Feel free to call in and I can show you. PM me and i'll give you my address and phone number, cos we're just down in Hayfield.
Cheers
Geoff

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Hi there

Hi there,
Chrissie had a very similar problem on her new (first) drop bar road bike. I not only moved the bars but also added spacers but be aware that the spacers need to be dedicated to the type of brake/shifter. I ordered some universal ones from Evans but they were not much use on Chrissie's bike (still have them in the drawer I think if you want them). In the end I was given (free) some of the standard, removable rubber spacers and by cutting them down I added an extra one, thereby doubling them up (all bike shops will have these kicking about). This has worked fine. Feel free to call in and I can show you. PM me and i'll give you my address and phone number, cos we're just down in Hayfield.
Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff, thankyou, just been to LBS (Whaley) asking for spacers and had a long discussion. Finally decided to go for cross top levers and change the calipers as well as a couple of other minor tweeks. The guy was really helpful and interested in my perspective. So am pleased to also have found somewhere to go whenever I need any more stuff doing. Bet we see each other about all the time. I'm often in Hayfield with dogs, horse or bike.

Top Bottom