Brake levers: left or right??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theo42

I've borrowed my mate's Cannondale Synapse and the rear brake is controlled by the right lever...

WHY? I've never ridden a bike with the levers this way round. Why would it be this way round? Is it a rider preference or something else?

I've already found it a little annoying... I prefer to use my left hand to slow down and right hand to change down the gears.

(btw my mate whose bike it is doesn't know either)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's the standard US way rather then the Brit way.
My recumbent which came from the US has the same set up as you mention.

OP
OP
Theo42

Theo42

ah i see. i'm looking at part ex bikes with him... so i guess i'll have to see if i get used to it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can easily swap them over. I set up all my bikes with front brake left.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's the way bikes are set up where people drive on the right. The idea is that you use the rear brake while signalling a turn across traffic with the free hand.

It's a 10 minute job to swap the cables to the other side.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's the way bikes are set up where people drive on the right. The idea is that you use the rear brake while signalling a turn across traffic with the free hand.

thanks for that.. I've always wondered what the logic was.

When I was cycling round New York last November I was petrified I'd get the brakes wrong... and having V-brakes on the bike I'd borrowed I really didn't want to mistakenly hit the front brake whilst going at speed.

All went well for 60km until I nearly rode into a taxi and whacked the brakes on... somehow i managed to stop myself going over the handlebars but did bounce the bike on it's front wheel a few times!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's the standard US way rather then the Brit way.
That's the standard everywhere except the UK. I have mine set up like that because it gives a smoother cable run and they don't rub against the head tube.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's illegal to sell a new bike with the front lever on the left. It used to be that most club riders would swap their levers over, possibly to conform to continental standards. I've just got used to them that way round.

subaqua

What’s the point
It's illegal to sell a new bike with the front lever on the left. It used to be that most club riders would swap their levers over, possibly to conform to continental standards. I've just got used to them that way round.

references please.

Front brake has to be on the right. It is a safety issue.

As you grab the brake lever, you roll the hand forward and this movement closes the throttle.

If the front brake were on the left, the clutch would move to the throttle side and smooth gear changes would be impossible.

Johnny Foreigner can be an audacious creature and is given to unhelpful mechanical eccentricity.

The front brake belongs on the right and traffic belongs on the left.

No wonder our jails are so full!

Enid Agnus Dei

Many moons ago I had an old Pegeot racer and not only were the brake levers the wrong way round to me but the gear levers too, a sod as it was a 12 speed, spent loads of time in error swapping rage changes rather than selection a higher gear!

Top Bottom