Brake pad position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've just replaced my standard ultegra pads with some kool-stop ones.
But after finishing the job, taking a step back and admiring my bike and the work i had done. I felt something was wrong.

I did each brake block one by one so i wouldn't get mixed up. But i still think a previous fault in the last time i changed them now means they are currently wrong.

The small bolt that holds the bad on the block is always on the side of the brake that is facing towards the front. Is this right? or should it always be at the back side?

Genman

I've just replaced my standard ultegra pads with some kool-stop ones.
But after finishing the job, taking a step back and admiring my bike and the work i had done. I felt something was wrong.

I did each brake block one by one so i wouldn't get mixed up. But i still think a previous fault in the last time i changed them now means they are currently wrong.

The small bolt that holds the bad on the block is always on the side of the brake that is facing towards the front. Is this right? or should it always be at the back side?
It should be behind the bolt that holds the pad to the caliper.
Not a prob. just loosen the main bolt and flip them.
If I've understood you correctly .Ie

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
aaah so i put them back on right. just upside down? what am i like
rolleyes.gif

gbb

Legendary Member
dont know which pad holders / calipers you have Gaz but the giveaway is the 'wings' on the pad holders, they should face downwards...whats their purpose BTW..is it to simply draw water away ?

MartinC

Über Member
...whats their purpose BTW..is it to simply draw water away ?

They're wheel guides - to help the wheel slide between the pads when you put it back in.

Gaz, make sure that your pads are the right way round so that the wheel rotation pushes the pads into the holders not out - that would be more than embarrassing :ohmy:

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They're wheel guides - to help the wheel slide between the pads when you put it back in.

Gaz, make sure that your pads are the right way round so that the wheel rotation pushes the pads into the holders not out - that would be more than embarrassing :ohmy:

It looks like i got everything ACE. just that when i put the blocks back in the main holder, they where the wrong way up
blush.gif

Top Bottom