Brake pad question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Errrrm

Regular
I have a question about mechanical disc brake pads. I have a second hand electric bike (Volt "Pulse"), and it is my first experience of disc brakes. I have found that the pads fitted initially worked well, but developed a load squeal. I failed to cure the problem with by tightening screws and cleaning the rotor with Isopropyl alcohol. Recently the brake lost power so I removed the pads and discovered that they have worn unevenly, with what appears to be a part of the pad not in touch with the rotor (see photo). Is this incomplete wear normal? Why would it be occurring? Is there a cure? Thanks.
pads.png

iluvmybike

Über Member
wear like that indicates that the wheel has not been fully home in th dropouts so the caliper is sitting in the wrong position

Ajax Bay

Guru
wear like that indicates that the wheel has not been fully home in the dropouts so the caliper is sitting in the wrong position
Possibly because the QR had not been secured properly - :welcome: OP.
I wonder whether the OP had their bike upside down when they secured the wheels. Close the QRs (not by turning about the wheel axle) with the bike's weight on the drop outs/wheels to mitigate this risk.
[If the wheels have thru' axles, both this comment and ilmb one is irrelevant.]
https://voltbikes.co.uk/e-bikes/hybrid/pulse

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Errrrm

Regular
Ah. No QRs on my bike. I have, however, slackened and re-tightened the relevant (rear) wheel nuts and made sure the wheel is fully bedded into the frame. Didn't have the impression that there had been much of a problem there, but time will tell. I'll use it a while and then check the pads for uneven wear.
I have noticed that the pads I have been given with the bike are not original Tektro, but a made by a company called WMD and claim to be compatible with my Tektro Novela brakes. I guess that might be the problem, if it turns out they were not made to precisely the correct dimensions.
Thanks for the help.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Ah. No QRs on my bike. I have, however, slackened and re-tightened the relevant (rear) wheel nuts and made sure the wheel is fully bedded into the frame. Didn't have the impression that there had been much of a problem there, but time will tell. I'll use it a while and then check the pads for uneven wear.
I have noticed that the pads I have been given with the bike are not original Tektro, but a made by a company called WMD and claim to be compatible with my Tektro Novela brakes. I guess that might be the problem, if it turns out they were not made to precisely the correct dimensions.
Thanks for the help.
Tektro don't make brake pads.Neither do Shimano/Hope/Avids etc.They are all made in the same factories,usually in the Far East,then packed up as X,Y or Z.
I have had Disc brakes on MTBs for almost 20 years and have found that some 'brands' are better than others but they are really all much of a muchness.I have never had pads wear like yours so can only assume the Caliper is not in the correct position.This could be Caliper-mount or mount-frame or both.
Are the pads on the other wheel the same?
Re the squealing.Some do more so than others.Sintered pads tend to squeal more than Organic as they are harder so take much longer to heat up.I wouldn't use Sintered on anything other than a serious off-road or downhill MTB.They last yonks but can squeal.
I have only had one set of Mechanical discs,which were Tektro,on my CX bike and with 140mm discs they were OK and never squealed whatever pads I used.

Last edited:
Check that the disk rotates true and does not wobble. Check that the caliper mount on the fork looks aligned. There is usually some adjustment you can make.

I usually get my pads from Superstar Components who get them direct from the big Chinese factory. They last for a few years of commuting.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Check that the disk rotates true and does not wobble. Check that the caliper mount on the fork looks aligned. There is usually some adjustment you can make.

I usually get my pads from Superstar Components who get them direct from the big Chinese factory. They last for a few years of commuting.
+1 for Superstar Components.Used them for many years.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/
Also Uberbike pads are generally good!
https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/

Top Bottom