Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Depends how much you want to spend.
Swiss-Stop and Kool-Stop are expensive but very good

Discobrakes are cheap and not half bad, lots of colour choice too ^_^ !

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
[QUOTE 2758657, member: 259"]What kind of brakes are they?[/quote]
Tektro TK-R312 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot ..... to be precise ^_^

PpPete

Legendary Member
Other than being dual pivot I've not been able to get any idea of exactly which kind of pads these are fitted with.
Chances are they will be some kind of Shimano "clone"

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I asked about them in the LBS a while ago and it was mentioned that I may want to invest in some carriers but to wait until these ones had worn out .

PpPete

Legendary Member
I guess in that case the existing pads are the Sora/Tiagra style one piece pads? Like this
The higher level (Shimano) groupsets use a carrier/replaceable pad system. Or if you are feeling flush Kool-Stop do some really classy ones.
I can't honestly recommend the disco brake carrier units, but their drop-in pads are fine.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hmmmm the price of just replacing what I have seems better for now as all my pennies are going towards a TCR advanced :hyper:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just take it to Giant in Twickenham? I bought some Clarks pads to fit (not yet done) for a decent price from Evans otherwise

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I did just that and have been told I need a new chain and cassette aswell . On the up side I did get to see my TCR again and whisper to her that she will be home with me within two weeks :wub:

vickster

Legendary Member
I did just that and have been told I need a new chain and cassette aswell . On the up side I did get to see my TCR again and whisper to her that she will be home with me within two weeks :wub:

Oh, get it all sorted by the LBS at the same time unless you are technically minded and have all the tools

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you are getting a new bike then you can leave the chain & cassette as is for a while, the changing may not be 100% but they won't do any harm.
You don't need any tools for the brake pads (beyond allen keys)

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Giant ,Twickenham changed the pads for me while I dribbled at the new bike . £8.99 :thumbsup: Not hard to change I know but they just did it and checked the bike over .
The Defy 5 is my baby and gets used every day ( I cant bear to call her a winter bike just yet :laugh: ) I was quite surprised when they told me what needed changing but ive done about 1800 miles in four months on it so can see why .
I guess you guys need to change things more often but im thinking I need to brake less and free wheel more :laugh:
The new bike wont be going out as much as its a lot of money to me . Ive already made it a cot in the bedroom :eek:
I will get the new bits as soon as though as I cant be dealing with standing up to speed up and getting my nuts slammed back into the saddle !

Top Bottom