brake poll

Which are the best brakes for commuting

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What do you think are the best brakes for commuting:

1. V brakes
  2. rim brakes (other)
  3. disc brakes
  4. drum brakes
  5. back brake
  6. fixed wheel
Justify your answer.

col

Legendary Member
I would go for drum,as they are pretty much weather proof,i guess?So no more hitting the brakes,and getting nothing but a shuddering squeel in the wet.

Depends - if your bike gets a stand and a secure place to park, then hydraulic disks. No other brake system can touch them.

BUT

If the bike was going to be left in a vulnerable spot, I would rather it wore conventional rim brakes.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oh, I can't choose.
I've got v- brakes on the MTB and discs on the trike, I can't think of which is best!! Drum brakes are good too, oh what a choice!?

I think I'm suffering from brake block.

PBancroft

Discs because that's what I'm used to. I couldn't commute on fixed - but then I have a little more elevation and distance than your average cross city commute.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any reason why you wouldn't have discs if you have to leave the bike in the open but secure to a stand - as I'm thinking of a disk braked hybrid for commuting - seems harder wearing then using rim brakes !

fossyant said:
Any reason why you wouldn't have discs if you have to leave the bike in the open but secure to a stand - as I'm thinking of a disk braked hybrid for commuting - seems harder wearing then using rim brakes !

Simply because I don't trust other cyclists to take care around my bike, and disk rotors and calipers are at pedal height, perfect for one of those tossers who can't undertand that a bike is more than just a lump of metal to some people. to smash their pedal reapeatedly into whilst trying to line their shiteheap up against the stand.

Iceniner

I think that id still be tempted to go with hydraulic brakes even on a commuter (have them on my mtb) just because in wales it rains alot. Ive experienced v brakes not working in the wet and it was pretty scary so i would think twice about using them.

Archie

Errrr.....
Hub brakes are the nuts. Bombproof, weatherproof and maintenance free (beyond a shot of grease once a year).

And I'm not talking about your coaster brake neither, even though they're lumped in together. :becool:

Ivan Ardon

Hard wearing? Try the rod operated stirrup brakes on my roadster. The last brake pads lasted 32 years.

They didn't produce any noticeable retardation, but they certainly lasted a long while.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've only known disc brakes since I took up cycling again two years ago, and I love them. The fact that you never have to worry about stopping power whether it's dry or wet is a huge plus when commuting for me. I remember the awfulness of trying to stop in the rain using the dual pivot brakes on my racer as a teen - always frightening if you were travelling at speed and had to stop suddenly.

Guess I'll have to adapt again given that I'll be using my new road bike from now until next winter and it has dual pivot brakes....

Top Bottom