brake poll

Which are the best brakes for commuting

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MERV

In the poll im surprised that V Brakes have got such a good rating.

Zoiders

Nowt wrong with Vs

Cheap ones are pants but that goes for any brake system, its no accident that shimano invented the brake modulator, too many newbies chucking them selves over the handle bars with Vs, which when set up well work as well as you would ever need on the road, going down a 3 mile long mountain as fast as you can on a 40lb + full sus rig then yes you want discs, on the streets though Vs are hard to beat

MERV

I think I have only seen the cheap version on bikes although I have never owned a V Brake bike myself.I just thoght they loked hard to adjust.

I had a Dawes Super Galaxy 96 and in it's later years the brakes were awful but I guess they wern't V brakes.

simoncc

The best and fastest bike for commuting is a 23 x 700 road bike with drops, mudguards and a rack for a pannier. That needs a front road brake, dual pivot, preferably of 105 quality or above. Discs, drums, V brakes or anything else are for the less hard core commuters, as are mountain bike frames, suspension, straight handelbars and 26 inch wheels or any fat tyred arrangement.

Tynan

Veteran
simoncc said:
a 23 x 700 road bike with drops, mudguards and a rack for a pannier. That needs a front road brake, dual pivot, preferably of 105 quality or above.

deedy, 'm as above but 25s and sadly only xenon but it's superb

leoc

I've picked rim brakes, because of the playoff of favourable price and simplicity for the drop in performance over disc brakes. However, if money was no object :biggrin:

xroads

Fixed wheel, because you have ABS control with direct feedback. Never unintentionally skidded, and I also use a front brake for emergencies.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I only have experience of caliper brakes, v-brakes and recently disc brakes. I thought v-brakes were a massive improvement on anything that went before. Before v-brakes, brakes simply did not seem to work very well, especially in the wet. Maybe that was just the cheap bikes I used to ride. The shopkeeper in my LBS persuaded me to buy some disc brakes because he said they were less maintenance and wouldn't wear out the rims. He said it was difficult to get hold of 26" wheels with brake rims any more. They look great, but I'm not sure I need that extra stopping power. Also they seem to suffer from contamination. I've now been told not to lube the chain at the cassette, and to wipe clean the disc every week. The back disc still squeals like a pig, despite taking the pads out and sanding them. They are more of a faff to fettle, and what's more, there seems to be lots of different sizes and shapes of pads to get confused about when trying to get replacements. The front brake performs well, I would have to admit.

Zoiders

simoncc said:
The best and fastest bike for commuting is a 23 x 700 road bike with drops, mudguards and a rack for a pannier. That needs a front road brake, dual pivot, preferably of 105 quality or above. Discs, drums, V brakes or anything else are for the less hard core commuters, as are mountain bike frames, suspension, straight handelbars and 26 inch wheels or any fat tyred arrangement.
That is so untrue it is hard to even begin to describe the narrow mindedness of it

Hardcore commuter?

Because you can only use roads and or towpaths in very very good condition?

Its about the rider picking the right bike for a chosen route, not the other way around, one of the fun parts of commuting can be patching together different types of ride, road, off road, the odd ally, down a flight of steps even

You should just buy a turbo old chap and stay indoors, it would suit your mindset better

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Yellow Fang said:
I only have experience of caliper brakes, v-brakes and recently disc brakes. I thought v-brakes were a massive improvement on anything that went before. Before v-brakes, brakes simply did not seem to work very well, especially in the wet. Maybe that was just the cheap bikes I used to ride. The shopkeeper in my LBS persuaded me to buy some disc brakes because he said they were less maintenance and wouldn't wear out the rims. He said it was difficult to get hold of 26" wheels with brake rims any more. They look great, but I'm not sure I need that extra stopping power. Also they seem to suffer from contamination. I've now been told not to lube the chain at the cassette, and to wipe clean the disc every week. The back disc still squeals like a pig, despite taking the pads out and sanding them. They are more of a faff to fettle, and what's more, there seems to be lots of different sizes and shapes of pads to get confused about when trying to get replacements. The front brake performs well, I would have to admit.

Have to admit that I've never had any problems with the relatively cheap, mechanical Tektro Io disc brakes that came on my Carrera Vulcan. Over two years old and never a bit of bother.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I recently bought my first bike that has mechanical discs and I find them very good!
You mean 'Flying Pigeons" have got disk brakes these day?

Wow! Or is there now a wider range of bikes available in China since I was there?

Top Bottom