brake poll

Which are the best brakes for commuting

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Disc brakes are catching up with V-brakes and drum brakes are making a late surge. I forgot to put roller brakes in the list. Drat! How are roller brakes different from other hub brakes btw?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That's a tough one. For full disclosure, I've never had drum or hub brakes so I can't comment. But I think my vote would go for discs -just too good and nice in the wet.

Having said that, they obviously come with drawbacks (expense, bling-meter for thieves, etc). I've got to say I'd happily use good quality well setup v/rim brakes as well. It's the performance in the wet that gets the nod from me.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have never had discs so I don't know if they are any better, but there have been times on wet roads (it doesn't have to be raining, leaky water mains are an occasional problem on my commute) when I have wanted better brakes, especially going down hill...

MERV

Would have thought disk brakes although I have never used them.Found it easy to get a replacement wheel when my back wheel cocked up on the Audax 2006 after 67 miles.Wonder if it would have been easy if I had to replace a disk braked wheel.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Archie said:
Hub brakes are the nuts. Bombproof, weatherproof and maintenance free (beyond a shot of grease once a year).

And I'm not talking about your coaster brake neither, even though they're lumped in together. :thumbsdown:

That was my thought. I'm afraid I'm not sure of the difference between hub and drum. I have hub brakes on my winter bike, front and back - I call them hub, coz they're in the hub - what's the difference between hub and drum? Is there one?

They seem to stop my heavier winter bike much better than V's stop my lighter summer bike - although it may just be that the winter bike has butcher tyres, so I'm more confident about braking...

Top Bottom