Brake quick release problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just bought new shimano brake pads for my Giant Defy as the old ones were quite worn.
They are the two part cantilever type where the pad fits into the carrier.
The problem i have is that after installing the front brake pads the wheel won't turn when the quick release mech is in the closed position.In the open position the wheel is released and turns ok but that is not it's purpose.
When the bike was new it obviously came with new pads and there was no problem so i cannot figure out why this is happening?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Brakes need adjusting.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Replacement pads much thicker than the stock pads when new? Undo the cable pinch bolt and give the adjuster a couple turns, pinch the caliper and with as much slack as possible out of the cable retighten the pinch bolt - back off the adjuster

*Keep the release mech closed

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit difficult to adjust new pads by yourself as you need to hold the pads to the rim while tightening the cable pinch bolt all the time pulling the cable tight. You need one of these:

Few quid off Amazon or your LBS. Makes the job a lot easier.

screenman

Legendary Member
I’ve looked for that tool on Amazon but can’t find it?

You do not need that tool, there are many other options that you will have to hand.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Never needed a third hand tool, I tend to take up the slack between my pinkie and ring finger, whilst squeezing the calliper with thumb and first finger.

Reactions: C R

screenman

Legendary Member
Never needed a third hand tool, I tend to take up the slack between my pinkie and ring finger, whilst squeezing the calliper with thumb and first finger.

You and me both on that one, to some things like this comes easy but not everyone gets it the same.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bit difficult to adjust new pads by yourself . . . You need one of these:

565146-30e61feca79918e48fb42aef54a8e265.png
OP: Please take minimal notice of @Cycleops - he likes to produce images noone else has found at Christmas - I bet he doesn't use one, if he possesses one, even. And good luck finding an LBS who has such a tool. Though by asking you may raise their spirits and festive cheer.
Everyone reclamps the cable bolt 'all by themselves', without one.

Top Bottom