Brake repair -front v break

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dvrgrl38

I believe that the missing part (cable housing and stop?) is the first steap to repairing this brake. It is a front break that nothing happens when you squeeze. I in a tiny town with no parts store so I was wondering if I could remove the one from an older bike and put it on the bike I want to repair. Am am struggling with getting it off the first bike. Thoughts?

OP
OP
D

dvrgrl38

5A7432DD-F793-4A42-BA44-3D236CF515B5.jpeg

Ajax Bay

Guru
The brake from the older bike should work fine.
To remove, remove any bar grip, unscrew/loosen 'a bit' the clamp that fastens the brake lever to the bar, and slide off.
New outer cable would be preferred but the second image shows a brake lever and cable in good nick.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Be sure not to disassemble the lever/cable from the second bike, move it over in its entirety as you won’t be able to thread the cable through the outer housing as the end will likely be frayed.
You’ll probably have trouble removing the bar grips. Put a screwdriver in the open end to open it up a bit and squirt some water in, this will make it easier to twist it off.

Last edited:
For this kind of thing YouTube can be great. Try searching using different terms and I'd be surprised if there isn't a video explaining what you want to do.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Be sure not to disassemble the lever/cable from the second bike, move it over in its entirety as you won’t be able to thread the cable through the outer housing as the end will likely be frayed.
You’ll probably have trouble removing the bar grips. Put a screwdriver in the open end to open it up a bit and squirt some water in, this will make it easier to twist it off.
Absolutely: transfer the whole shabang.
I find a squirt of washing up liquid works well. Of course if some lunatic has put glue in then more drastic measures are needed (scissors/Stanley knife combo).

Top Bottom