Brake upgrade on 2014 Trek 1.5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

Hi, just wondering if upgrading the brakes would make any difference to stopping power, as my existing brakes which seem to be unbranded are not not very good downhill. I really have to squeeze hard to make much difference. And if upgrading is an option, which would be compatible. I have upgraded my pads already.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not surprised with some of the hills round there ( one of my favourite places in the Dales) but it is possible to have too powerful brakes, I'd sooner have brakes that I could get a good grip on than ones that lock with more than one finger on them. :eek:
BTW is the Bulls Head still as good as it used to be. :cheers:

OP
OP
Dogzodiac

Dogzodiac

I'm not surprised with some of the hills round there ( one of my favourite places in the Dales) but it is possible to have too powerful brakes, I'd sooner have brakes that I could get a good grip on than ones that lock with more than one finger on them. :eek:
BTW is the Bulls Head still as good as it used to be. :cheers:
The bulls head is as good as ever. Not the cheapest, but they do fill your plate. The mixed grill is huge

OP
OP
Dogzodiac

Dogzodiac

It was just a little unnerving the other day going downhill, the last thing I want is to lock up, but I was squeezing hard with little effect. It was keeping my speed under control but if I wanted to stop in a hurry I doubt I would be able to.
I'm happy to upgrade even if it only makes a small difference, but not sure if just upgrading the callipers would change things

Top Bottom