Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by TechMech, 15 Apr 2010.

1. TechMech

TechMech Senior Member

I've just got a Secteur Elite and after coming from a Boardman Hybrid with disc brakes, I'm finding the brakes on the secteur a bit weak tbh.

Now I'm no light weight at 17st, but the brakes on the Secteur do not fill me with the confidence I used to have on the Boardman whilst descending.

What do you guys reckon? Change the brake blocks on the no name callipers to better ones (recommendations please) or fit a set of Shimano 105 brakes to match the rest of the 105 groupset already on the bike (would these actually be better?) or a combination of both? Or can anyone suggest something else?

Or maybe this is as good as rim brakes get?

2. dhague

dhague New Member

Start simple & cheap: first of all, make sure the rims are clean & degreased. They may *look* clean, but it's amazing the difference a good degrease can make.
    Next, try some other pads. Kool-stop salmons are highly regarded - I use their dual-compound pads on my Roubaix (same calipers as the Secteur, I believe).

Total spend so far: about £20 for pads.

Hope this helps,
    Darren

3. eldudino

eldudino Bike Fluffer

Hi Al. I've got a 105 brake on the back of my Specialized Allez and it's very good. I'd look for a good pair on ebay, it's nice to have everything matching (but maybe I'm just a bit OCD about these things...)

4. MartinC

MartinC Über Member

+1

If neither of these work then the next step is changing the calipers. There are some poor unbranded ones fitted to entry level bikes. Anything above entry level from C or S will be fine, SRAM too. In my experience Tektro brakes are OK.

5. redddraggon

redddraggon Blondie

I find wobbly Shimano brake levers are sometimes the cause of poor braking - used to have Shimano on the commuter but since swapped to Campag with the same calipers - braking feels loads better now.

6. SoloRider

SoloRider Active Member

Do you get the Koolstop pads with shoes or do you buy them as refills?

How do you degrease a rim?

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

baby wipes are good for cleaning bike rims. Its not necessarily about 'degreasing', just making sure there is no 'oily' residue on the rim

8. SoloRider

SoloRider Active Member

Must try that as my rim brakes never seem to work that well

9. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Er...what is the difference between that and degreasing?

+1 for the baby wipes. They are soaked in alcohol, which is why they remove grease.

10. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Because if you use a 'degreaser' , some of them leave an 'oily' residue on the rim. A rustic example would be meths

11. manalog

manalog Über Member

OBE Pads, recently fitted a set of triple compounds and they are great. I beleive they are £3 a pair, IMHO they are comaparable to Koolstop Salmon in stopping power in wet and dry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice