Brakes - apologies if done to death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Cheap Giant - cable disc brakes - most unimpressed.
Can people reassure me that I’ll be more impressed with hydraulic brakes.
Are there any diehards out there that stick to rim? Are discs over-hyped?

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheap Giant - cable disc brakes - most unimpressed.
Can people reassure me that I’ll be more impressed with hydraulic brakes.
Are there any diehards out there that stick to rim? Are discs over-hyped?
What sort of bike?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you go for hydraulics, choose Shimano. Avoid anything that uses DOT fluid. Bike systems have little or no provision for expansion, and it expands as it absorbs water. Even in a "sealed" system, it absorbs water through the flexible hoses.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Are there any rim die hards? Yes!
I've got three rim braked bikes, no issues, they stop fine.

I've got one (cable) disc braked bike, it does stop a little bit better especially in the wet but my goodness it moans about it's lot all day long, little squeaks and squeals and I'm not necessarily a convert. I'm undecided either way I think.

Hydraulic are more powerful for sure, but not having had to live with a bike so endowed, I'm not sure if they grumble as much as cable powered discs. I'd assume so given it's the same tiny clearances and pad materials.

Sharky

Guru
All my bikes are rim brakes. Quite satisfied with dual pivot brakes after years of basic side pulls.

But it is cross bike compatibility that stops me from venturing into disc brakes. At the moment can swap wheels from bike to bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Im a die hard rim brake fan, also a die hard cable disc brake fan.
If both are set up correctly they are both very good.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If you go for hydraulics, choose Shimano. Avoid anything that uses DOT fluid. Bike systems have little or no provision for expansion, and it expands as it absorbs water. Even in a "sealed" system, it absorbs water through the flexible hoses.
DOT brakes like SRAM are perfectly fine. 5.1 all the way.. Should probably change mine, it's been 5 years nearly^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Well Avid Elixirs suck more than anything that has ever sucked before. They work great when freshly bled (which is an awful job even with the pro kit), but a couple of months later and they start dragging as the fluid expands. I'd rather replace a rim every couple of years!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nothing wrong with cable discs, my commuter has them and runs all weathers, 16,000 trouble free miles so far.
What calipers etc are on the Giant, and have you bedded them in yet?

tom73

Guru
I’ve bikes with both you notice the difference
Hydraulic discs have got me out a one or two situations (both not my fault)
Rim brakes would have been touch and go.
In the wet they beat rim brakes any day.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Many thanks.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Nothing wrong with cable discs, my commuter has them and runs all weathers, 16,000 trouble free miles so far.
What calipers etc are on the Giant, and have you bedded them in yet?
I haven’t a clue. I took them to a well renowned ‘bike man’ in my village and he set them up as best he could. He had to put the ‘non-moving’ pad so close to the disc that I think it slightly runs but he showed me that if he didn’t the moving pad really bends the disk and hence poor braking. Giant put upgraded pads on too allegedly!!!

Top Bottom