Brakes - apologies if done to death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I was rounding down a long way!!!
Maybe one with these
  • Tektro mechanical disc brakeset

• or spend more to get hydraulic

• or scrub the mechanical discs and go for rims?!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'd pay more for hydro discs quicker than I would pay less for rim brakes or mechanical disc

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have three bikes, all with different types of brakes. My Genesis SS has Tektro side-pull rim brakes which are amazingly good in the dry (better than any Shimano I've ever had, believe it or not), my other two are both Cannondale CAADX's. One with pretty ugly Centre-pull Cantilevers which again in the dry are great and, the other has Promax Cable Discs which are pretty poor really. I have just put some Organic Pads in which are softer/quieter but not much better for stopping. However, the bike with the discs was the colour/spec that I had been after for a while so the brakes were the only negative and I can live with that. We would all like the best components but, unless you are prepared to spend the earth (on a bike that may be in a ghastly colour) or, build your own bike from scratch, then you have to compromise somewhere. Personally, I would rather have better gears, wheels and comfort which are used permanently than brakes that are not. Yes, they could make the difference between life and death but, I would rather rely more on anticipation than my brakes.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I have three bikes, all with different types of brakes. My Genesis SS has Tektro side-pull rim brakes which are amazingly good in the dry (better than any Shimano I've ever had, believe it or not), my other two are both Cannondale CAADX's. One with pretty ugly Centre-pull Cantilevers which again in the dry are great and, the other has Promax Cable Discs which are pretty poor really. I have just put some Organic Pads in which are softer/quieter but not much better for stopping. However, the bike with the discs was the colour/spec that I had been after for a while so the brakes were the only negative and I can live with that. We would all like the best components but, unless you are prepared to spend the earth (on a bike that may be in a ghastly colour) or, build your own bike from scratch, then you have to compromise somewhere. Personally, I would rather have better gears, wheels and comfort which are used permanently than brakes that are not. Yes, they could make the difference between life and death but, I would rather rely more on anticipation than my brakes.
Thanks for comprehensive thoughts.
My thinking is that this third bike for me is mostly likely to be ridden in the dry, so rim brakes may not be such a bad thing - and all this bleeding and worrying about fluid etc seems more hassle than it is worth (in the dry!).

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for comprehensive thoughts.
My thinking is that this third bike for me is mostly likely to be ridden in the dry, so rim brakes may not be such a bad thing - and all this bleeding and worrying about fluid etc seems more hassle than it is worth (in the dry!).

That’s a sensible conclusion, a decent set of rim brakes are absolutely fine, I have 105 rim brakes on my road bike and I’ve never felt that they’ve needed any improvement.

Antonio

Just scrolling through and immediately thought I must comment.
I have 3 bikes. Claud Butler Legend A town hybrid. Excellent with V brakes. Fantastic
Ridgeback Voyage touring bike Beautiful ride but with cantilever brakes . Oh dear I never feel overly confident steaming down the Austrian mountains with panniers on rear. I do pray a lot.
New Cannondale Synapse Neo1 ebike. Shimano 105 hydro disc brakes. Pure heaven and it really stops on a sixpence. Brilliant.

I would love the Ridgeback cantilever to be set up to compare with the other two bikes. But it seems very difficult to achieve.. I have thought of changing them for mini V brakes but with shifters etc it is a lot of trouble and will they work ????

Top Bottom