Brakes on a plane!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just bought me a ultegra 6700 brake set for £50. I reckon its worth upgrading what must be 5700 brakes on my Triban.

Better to cope with my big arse and touring/commuting loads.

It'll make very little difference, marginal weight gains I'd suspect. The larger gains if you are looking at increasing your stopping power is the pads, swiss stop or kool stop are highly recommend there. The new bling factor sometimes overules, enjoy :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It'll make very little difference, marginal weight gains I'd suspect. The larger gains if you are looking at increasing your stopping power is the pads, swiss stop or kool stop are highly recommend there. The new bling factor sometimes overules, enjoy :okay:
Quote for the truth :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
Anyone who thinks Pads are as good as replacing Calipers is just wrong!

Yes, you will get an improvement, but nowhere near the gain as Calipers, depending on what are replaced with what.

Swapped Tektro for 105 on my Defy 1. Amazing difference. I swapped pads and Calipers around with all combinations and even the crappy Tektro pads in the 105 Calipers gave better braking than the 105 pads in the Tektro Calipers. Overall the 105 pads and Calipers were a massive difference.

Not saying all Tektro are rubbing mind you, but the model fitted to the Defy were awful.

Drago

Legendary Member
Whereas the Tektros on my Felt are much better than the 105s on my Pinnacle. I keep meaning to email Felt and ask what brand of pads they used so i can get some more.

This isn't a case of swapping round and making a subjective decision which is best, because having spunked out on 105s you're psychologically going to have a hard time thinking they're not. No Siree, two bikes that I can ride back-to-back and actually compare, and have done dozens of times.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Whereas the Tektros on my Felt are much better than the 105s on my Pinnacle. I keep meaning to email Felt and ask what brand of pads they used so i can get some more.

This isn't a case of swapping round and making a subjective decision which is best, because having sprinkled out on 105s you're psychologically going to have a hard time thinking they're not. No Siree, two bikes that I can ride back-to-back and actually compare, and have done dozens of times.
As I said, not all Tektro products are rubbish. It's like saying Shimano are rubbish, when you've only tried the cheapest product.

In my experience, the Calipers were a bigger upgrade than the pads. I think I spelt out that this depends on what you're comparing.

Thought that was clear from my post. Based on my own personal experience, rather than something I found on Google.

That may have been the case for you, but in this case he already had 5700 105 calipers and upgrading to Ultegra 6700 would be minimum gains, although Shimano claim the 6800 offer better braking than 6700. Who knows if anyone could actually tell the difference?

Top Bottom