Brakes upgrade and Shimano Sora compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobykenobi

Über Member
May have posted about this before. Loving my Cannondale road bike (Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora c. 2014) but the one thing I struggle with is braking. Basically, need to start braking quite early on descents to be sure of stopping a road junction. (Don't really have this problem on my Dawes tourer.)

Have recently changed the brake pads which has improved things a bit but it is still not ideal. Wondering if an upgrade of the brakes themselves would help.

My bike has Shimano Sora 3500 brake levers, if I brought something like these 105s would they be compatible? I had assumed so, but have read some stuff about changes Shimano have made more recently to brake pull ratio (if that's the correct term).

Thanks for any help.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
They're fine, done the same myself. Worth looking on ebay etc as you can get 105 5700 calipers for about £30 a pair...

Drago

Legendary Member
I've run Sora levers with 105 calipers, excellent combo. I always like the Sora's for urban use of commuting, and the thumb release button for the downchange was ideal for time spent up on the hoods in traffic etc.

lpretro1

Those you have linked to are the 11spd groupset ones and strictly speaking Shimano states they must be used in conjunction with ST-5800, ST-6800 or ST-9000 STIs for correct leverage ratio. I don't know about using the 5700 version

wonderloaf

Veteran
Strange, looking at the Shimano compatibility chart the 11 speed should be fine with Sora ST3500 STI's unless I'm reading it wrong (probably).

BTW thanks @tobykenobi for asking the question, I'm thinking doing exactly this myself!

upload_2016-11-14_21-6-46.png

DRM

Guru
I have fitted 105 calipers on my Giant Defy, with Tiagra levers, the differance between the Tektros it came with and the 105's is like night & day, they actually stop you, rather than taking an age to stop you. (like stopping an oil tanker!)

OP
OP
tobykenobi

tobykenobi

Über Member
I have fitted 105 calipers on my Giant Defy, with Tiagra levers, the differance between the Tektros it came with and the 105's is like night & day, they actually stop you, rather than taking an age to stop you. (like stopping an oil tanker!)

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Top Bottom