Braking by back-pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
These have a coaster rear brake, NSU Quickly.

nsu-1175843_960_720.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 5226164, member: 45"]You get used to lifting the back wheel a little, allowing you to turn the pedals with a foot.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, although that approach doesn't really work on a Christiania trike, especially when there's a child on the bike on the back (followme tandem adaptor)

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
I bloody loves coaster brakes. At one point 80% of my bikes had coasters, now only 75% of them are so equipped. Got a fresh 2 speed auto on my Electra......

If N remains unchanged, that means you have 20 bikes, and changed one from coaster brakes to cable pull brakes and now have 15 with coaster brakes. If N didn't remain the same, the change from 80% to 75% can't have been the result of gaining or losing only 1 bike. N-2 throws up the possibility of you having had 10 bikes (8 with coaster brakes), but then getting rid of 2 of the coaster braked bikes leaving you with 8 bikes, 6 of which have coaster brakes. N+2 suggests you had 10 bikes (8 with coaster brakes), and you added 1 with coasters, and one without leaving you 9 coaster-braked bikes out of 12. Any which way, you have too many bikes! :smile:

Yes, I'm bored.

rivers

How far can I go?
My bike as a kid only had a coaster brake. I didn't get a bike with hand brakes until I was 10 or so. Never had any issues

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My dad's first motorbike was one of those, he went all over the county on it .
He was only popping down to the shops but he could not stop.

About 10 years ago, my daughter and I hired "Dutch" bikes with back pedal brakes for the day whilst on holiday in Belgium. She coped alright with her's, but I was a right mess on mine... but we did get the bikes back in one piece, thankfully.

If N remains unchanged, that means you have 20 bikes, and changed one from coaster brakes to cable pull brakes and now have 15 with coaster brakes. If N didn't remain the same, the change from 80% to 75% can't have been the result of gaining or losing only 1 bike. N-2 throws up the possibility of you having had 10 bikes (8 with coaster brakes), but then getting rid of 2 of the coaster braked bikes leaving you with 8 bikes, 6 of which have coaster brakes. N+2 suggests you had 10 bikes (8 with coaster brakes), and you added 1 with coasters, and one without leaving you 9 coaster-braked bikes out of 12. Any which way, you have too many bikes! :smile:

Yes, I'm bored.
Your fatal error was to assume that N remains unchanged.
I had five bikes, one of which was non coaster. 4/5 = 80%
I gave one away which left me with four bikes, one of which was non coaster. 3/4 = 75%

I have several coaster hubs lolling around in the garage including a 1940s vintage Simplex twin-stripe two-speed kick-back hub awaiting the right bike/frame.

Top Bottom