Braking conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
I have recently aquired a cheap new frame after breaking the bottom bracket on my previous commuter. (works out cheaper than simply replacing the BB as it was seized into the frame).
My problem however is this...
The disk brake mount is bent on the front fork and I cant for the life of me align the pads and the disk. There are no mounts for v brakes so they must be out the question? I was just wondering if there was any way around this or if to just put up with the broken bb on the old frame.
Cost is my main concern here, I have a budget of about £5 this month for a solution, which isnt going to go far.

Thanks in advance

sidevalve

Über Member
You didn't say but will you [or can you, would the old ones fit] swap the forks over ? What is the fork made from and how badly is the bracket bent ? Steel is easy to bend and unless sharply kinked fairly safe, alloy can be bent straight but it requires great care, some skill, and [poss] some gentle heat to anneal the metal. There are simple ways to check the temp required but they do require some thought and concentration.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
I hadn't actually considered that, the old forks were the same size but V brakes, I could in theory swap the fork and wheel, but there's the second issue, the old forks also seem seized in. Its an old/cheap style threaded headset. Both forks are alloy and I'm not sure id trust myself to bend it correctly, but I suppose I have nothing to lose, worst case would be break it off and I'm back in the same place I am now.

sidevalve

Über Member
If I were you I would concentrate on swapping the forks. As I said, bending alloy is, at best, a risky job. Possible, yes,but it takes a lot of care. Not too sure how the forks can be siezed in though. If you're sure you've removed ALL the assorted nuts adjusting rings etc there's not much to hold 'em in. Obviously if you've stripped the bike down to the frame you know what you're up to but it's really easy to miss the stupid things [I've done it so often it's pathetic]. Try just sitting down with a coffee and studying it, it often woks for me.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Sorry, wasn't too clear on that, it's the handlebars that are seized into the fork preventing its removal, not the forks themselves. It also doesn't seem to be the wedge either but the actual tube. I'll have to try a few ways to get it out, nice little project for my week off.
Thanks for the idea, that's really what I was after as I just couldn't see a way around it.

Top Bottom