Brand Cavendish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It looks like F*ST F*CK to me!

It's all harmless fun, but I find it a little undignified. I swear too much, but I don't like to see 'clever-clever' non-swearing or almost swearing included in a brand name or tag.

I found the FCUK think puerile, but one saw it everywhere.

People will go for this Cavendish stuff. He has a positive image. In our binary world of celebrity buy-in, he is still in (and will likely remain in) the "Click to add to basket" camp.

Armstrong (branded to Hell and back and a clever smudger of the line between altruism and cashing in) did very well out of his yellowy stuff. I used almost to retch at the sight of yellowed-up cyclists who were saying.... what?

"I like Lance, I've heard of Lance, I liked Lance before he was popular, my Nan had cancer so I know what it's about, I look good in yellow, I was lost until I read his book which wasn't about bikes..." I have no idea what they were saying with their yellowy yellowness, like the bright red and orange of the daft followers of Bagwan Ogwosh Bogwosh in Poona. I found it all a bit creepy and reminiscent of people who find too many ways to fit into casual conversation that they've been on the Hajj or a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. It was religious, in a way that Cav-worship will never be.

But broadly, I find the whole brand thing a bit icky. Harmless, but icky and somehow an attempt to draw a link of approval, clanship or tribal recognition between brand icon and purchaser.

Then... I look at my own cycle clothing... Ooops! I seem hoist and the petard was mine. Casquesttes with "Peugeot", "Renault", "Gitanes".... A top with that beautiful Mondriane design on it... Another with "Euskaltel Euskadi". Brands and hero-worship abound.

Yes, I pour scorn on branding, but I make allowances for my own taste, which after all is rather good.

That's a sound argument, isn't it?

cd365

Guru
FSTASFCK??

Well, I can see why Cav raves about green, as it's clearly his colour for being naive enough to think that's a good strapline to use.
Disagree. He needs a good strapline to get the youngsters into his brand, if FSTASFCK lures them in...

Top Bottom