Branson down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Personally, I have no hate for him. I admire what he has done, from his record label producing Tubular Bells, to his airline(s), train franchise, etc.. But all that doesn't earn him exemption from criticism when he becomes a serial bike crasher, and then makes stupid claims about what saved his life.
I'm fine with his claims as regards what saved his life. It's his opinion, just as your opinion is that it is a "stupid claim"

But nobody who regularly rides a bike suffers from "brake failure". All that happens is you go too fast and fall off, in this case causing someone else to fall off. Dressing it up as something it isn't makes him look foolish, at least to regular bike riders

AndyRM

XOXO
I met him once, seemed a decent guy.

He was the figurehead of Virgin Money and visited the offices when they took over Northern Rock. Walked around the whole building, talking to folk. I asked if he'd play 5-a-side with us in the evening (horrifying my colleagues) to which he replied "I would, but I don't have my boots".

And you know what? I reckon he would've.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why is he hated so much?

Seems to me he is a smart guy, that and a bit of luck, and did alright for himself.
He's done quite a bit of seriously unethical stuff along the way, including lying to staff to retain control of his early magazine business and basically smuggling records in some sort of VAT fiddle.

He's done some good business too, including spotting opportunities to set up a planet-killing airline and how to exploit trademarks to keep control of businesses he doesn't own, but I think he's untrustworthy and has different ethical standards to most of us.

tyred

Legendary Member
He's done quite a bit of seriously unethical stuff along the way, including lying to staff to retain control of his early magazine business and basically smuggling records in some sort of VAT fiddle.

He's done some good business too, but I think he's untrustworthy and has different ethical standards to most of us.
I suspect that's true of most people who have been successful in business.

Gillstay

Über Member
I had to keep him safe once and he did as I asked, was very polite and even took time to write to me afterwards to thank me for my efforts.
How he put up with the journalists and photographer afterwards is beyond me, I would have walked after 5 mins and he managed to be brilliant to them for 20 mins. I ended up liking him to my surprize.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

He's done some good business too, including spotting opportunities to set up a planet-killing airline and how to exploit trademarks to keep control of businesses he doesn't own, but I think he's untrustworthy and has different ethical standards to most of us.
That may or may not be true but I still can't quite celebrate his injury.

mikeIow

Guru
I recall reading his first autobiography….his exploits were verging on lunacy, especially the hot air balloon record attempts (balloonacy!).
I’ve no doubt he has a ruthless business streak that will harbour within it some BadStuff™, but such is the way of the MegaSuccessful….

Why is he hated so much?

Seems to me he is a smart guy, that and a bit of luck, and did alright for himself.
His mistake was being successful. Whether it is in football or business you are supposed to keep a low profile, go to the pub and to be seen queuing up for takeaways. It does not matter if your company created thousands of jobs over 3 decades in entertainment, telco, banking, airlines and rail.

He also made no attempt to be one of us. Instead of crashing his bike, he could have snorted cocaine and crashed his Range Rover while on the way to buy more, had a dysfunctional family life etc.

Sorry we can't accept him.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But nobody who regularly rides a bike suffers from "brake failure".
I did once. Due to the incompetence of a numpty mechanic (me). I'd just transported my bike by car, put the wheels in and forgot to close the QR thingies on the brakes. The brakes still worked, but not very well. Fortunately I was going pretty slowly when I noticed. Heart missed a couple of beats though - levers squashed almost down to the bars and not much happening.

Top Bottom