Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thelma

What's the best kind of bra for cycling? I usually chuck on a non-underwired one, because it seems to make sense... I don't think the full-on jiggle-prevention of a sports bra is entirely necessary, is it?

I hope I'm never run over because I wear old tatty ones that have gone grey with age or have been accidently dyed in the washing machine.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I just go with my normal day to day ones ... but then I probably don't own a sports bra!! The only comment I would make with regards to bras is that in summer (never ever have this problem in winter when I have one hundred and one layers on), on the bike you are leaning slightly forward ... and if you are wearing a low cut loose top ... well best not to have the laundry grey one on :blush: , especially if you are on a shared path... meeting on coming cyclists and pedestrians. On one particular occasion when I realised I had a wardrobe mal-function I ended up having to try and sit very upright! Luckily I don't have enough to worry about over-spill problems.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't see why you need to wear one at all, figure hugging lycra with a full length zip is the way to go surely?
hyper.gif

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ignoring the 'helpful' quotes from the blokes...

Good advice from Summerdays there...!

I think it depends on what surface you ride on - on decent roads there is very little jiggling, but a bumpy track can be a bit bouncy (depending on how much you have). There isn't the continual up and down hard bouncing you get when running, so a sports bra isn't necessary from that point of view.

I generally wear an old 'normal' one, but in summer I do (usually) remember to check that it continues to hold things in when I'm bent over the bars.

fimm

Veteran
Note that my bust is not what you might call substantial, but for what it is worth - I have a lot of sports bras because I run and do gym stuff as well as cycle, so I go for a sports bra if I'm going out on my road bike. I ride my Brompton in my office clothes so that means a padded and underwired bra (attempting to compensate for lack of bust...! (TMI?)) The thing about sports bras is they are also lighter and designed to deal with sweat, which is cheifly why I find them good for a training ride. I recently got a couple from M&S which were marked as suitable for lighter exercise (I think cycling might even have been mentioned), and they are good and getting a lot of use - if you are thinking of investing in some new underwear then it might be worth looking out for something like that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ignoring the 'helpful' quotes from the blokes...

Good advice from Summerdays there...!

I think it depends on what surface you ride on - on decent roads there is very little jiggling, but a bumpy track can be a bit bouncy (depending on how much you have). There isn't the continual up and down hard bouncing you get when running, so a sports bra isn't necessary from that point of view.

I generally wear an old 'normal' one, but in summer I do (usually) remember to check that it continues to hold things in when I'm bent over the bars.
Jesus, it's hot in here. I'm coming over all funny
blush.gif

You girls are wicked when you talk dirty.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Note that my bust is not what you might call substantial, but for what it is worth - I have a lot of sports bras because I run and do gym stuff as well as cycle, so I go for a sports bra if I'm going out on my road bike. I ride my Brompton in my office clothes so that means a padded and underwired bra (attempting to compensate for lack of bust...! (TMI?)) The thing about sports bras is they are also lighter and designed to deal with sweat, which is cheifly why I find them good for a training ride. I recently got a couple from M&S which were marked as suitable for lighter exercise (I think cycling might even have been mentioned), and they are good and getting a lot of use - if you are thinking of investing in some new underwear then it might be worth looking out for something like that.

I think it does come down to your size. Let me put it this way: those "support shelves" they put in tri suits? No good for me. I nearly had to DNS a race a couple of years back because I had forgotten to pack my Sportjock Superbra (I ended up borrowing one from a girl of similar size who had packed a spare). I wouldn't ride without a proper sports bra because hitting a pothole unexpectedly without proper support is uncomfortable, to say the least, never mind run without one.

Ordinary underwear is designed to make you look good in clothes. Sports bras are designed for performance. I'd rather suffer monoboob and be comfortable, supported and know I'm not straining any connective tissue. I rarely wear anything other than sports bras these days (but then there is a non-zero chance of having to run away from things in my job).

If you feel you need support at all times, even wandering around at home, just because it's more comfortable, then I'd recommend a sports bra even on a road bike. If you are more modestly blessed and could even consider walking to the shop (or jogging!) with little to no support, then you're probably fine with something less substantial.

Sam

Top Bottom