Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just had to have a nose..

Just make sure you warm it up first..

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I wouldn't go on a thread discussing prostrate pressure problems suggesting I have a quick tug on the tackle, so please show some semblance of mutual respect, eh? It's this sort of response that puts a lot of women off discussing female-specific cycling issues.

Sam

+1 and well put.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
if you've ever got a wasp down your front while descending a steep winding road, you'll know the wrong bra/top could be fatal :ohmy:

As for the front opening top, well, i'd rather be cool than anything else, so if anyone wants a peek down my clevage for a second or two as they pass, they're welcome!:tongue:
I've suffered frontal wasp attacks twice when cycling ...

Once as a boy, one flew down the front of my shirt and started stinging me. I leapt off my bike, ripped my shirt off, swatted the wasp to the floor and stamped it to death. I looked up and saw a bus stationary immediately behind me and 30 passengers howling with laughter.

The second time was my famous wasp down the bib shorts encounter! :eek:

I agree with Fiona - wasp-stung cleavage isn't going to be much of an aid to road safety!

zacklaws

Guru
You'd get a high-speed hand in the face if you tried that with me.

While this is obviously meant to be good-natured, I would point out that comments like these are more annoying than flattering. Many women do not appreciate being reduced to the level of grope-material, even in jest. Given that women need all sorts of encouragement to start cycling and as little to put them off as possible, I think it would be a good idea to leave such blatantly objectivising comments off a thread where a woman is asking other women for advice.

I wouldn't go on a thread discussing prostrate pressure problems suggesting I have a quick tug on the tackle, so please show some semblance of mutual respect, eh? It's this sort of response that puts a lot of women off discussing female-specific cycling issues.

Sam

I once suggested a ladies cyclists website that I had found by accident for the ladies to discuss their personal problems but i was berated for that too, so exactly what do you want, and also it was referenced by yourself that threads pertaining to ladies problems should have in the title "Women Only", which I do not see happening, so if you do not stick to what you would like to see happening then be prepared to receive the comments by the men folk. And what's wrong with suggesting a "tug on the Tackle", would not bother me in the slightest.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I once suggested a ladies cyclists website that I had found by accident for the ladies to discuss their personal problems but i was berated for that too, so exactly what do you want, and also it was referenced by yourself that threads pertaining to ladies problems should have in the title "Women Only", which I do not see happening, so if you do not stick to what you would like to see happening then be prepared to receive the comments by the men folk. And what's wrong with suggesting a "tug on the Tackle", would not bother me in the slightest.

http://www.cyclechat...age__hl__ladies

Hmmm. I reckon you're best advised to button it on this subject.

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Thanks for such a range of useful and "useful" responses! I hadn't given wasps any thought (but then it is March I suppose) so will bear that in mind.

Regarding the comments about reducing women to grope material, I totally get the point you're making. I think it was clear from the "yes I'm talking about boobs" that I was aware of the potential for humorous comments, and (taste and decency notwithstanding) happy to engage in a little jovial banter. I don't think anything said here was out of order. I think it's also worth noting that while I haven't seen anything about prostates and tackle, I did see something about admiring (male, I assumed) cyclists' thighs, so it's not as if it's all one way.

I am against the objectification of women (and indeed anyone else for that matter), but I don't feel that the comments here did that.

Anyway... lots of useful comments and links. Thank you. And thanks for the giggles too.

zacklaws

Guru
Oh lordy.

Don't bring him into it, he's probably responsible for all the potholes to make things jiggle in the first place

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

http://www.cyclechat...age__hl__ladies

Berated?

You are having a laugh, surely?

I also did not say that threads should have "Women Only" in the title. What I said was:

The prior failure of gents to stay out of certain threads requested as "women only" (in fora that no longer exist, I hasten to add) was why we decided to have a girlie section at the League.

Perhaps you should attempt some reading comprehension before levelling accusations at people.

You really need to brush up on your manners. Why should women have to put up with "comments by the men folk"? It's a few steps away from saying that women who wear short skirts are "asking for it". What you're saying here, to put it bluntly, is that if women don't segregate themselves somewhere private then they should be willing to tolerate disrespectful, lecherous, suggestive comments from men whose idea of an intelligent contribution is not much more advanced than "I'll rub some cream on that for ya darlin', woof woof".

Your lack of offence over something I would not say does not invalidate my preference that I not have to deal with suggestions that random male strangers sexually molest me.

Read this, maybe you'll learn something:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12771938

Sam

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Back on topic, I fell in love with Lululemon sportsbras when in Canada and the US. They do padded sports bras for those who are less well endowed and want a little help :smile: . I have a great one where you can change the strap arrangement but they seem to have stopped selling it already :wacko: .

EDIT: re the shorts and underwear, I always wore pants under my padded shorts when touring and never had any chafing issues. I couldn't be bothered having to wash and dry shorts every day.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm not offended (indeed, I could even be said to have encouraged it a bit on the first page). The OP is not offended. BUT...

Given (I assume) that we would all like to encourage more people to take up cycling, women included, it isn't only the regulars here that need to be considered. What about someone thinking of taking it up and browsing the forum. Perhaps someone with not much confidence, about to ask for advice. Could be rather off-putting? For some blokes, I would imagine, as well as women.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Thanks for such a range of useful and "useful" responses! I hadn't given wasps any thought (but then it is March I suppose) so will bear that in mind.

It's a good thing to bear in mind. A wasp in one decolletage is not fun.

Regarding the comments about reducing women to grope material, I totally get the point you're making. I think it was clear from the "yes I'm talking about boobs" that I was aware of the potential for humorous comments, and (taste and decency notwithstanding) happy to engage in a little jovial banter. I don't think anything said here was out of order. I think it's also worth noting that while I haven't seen anything about prostates and tackle, I did see something about admiring (male, I assumed) cyclists' thighs, so it's not as if it's all one way.

I've never seen a suggestion from anyone that he or she rub chamois cream all over a male cyclist's anything. Maybe there have been some -- I haven't seen them. What is undeniably true, however, and tiresomely so, is that it is apparently impossible for women to discuss women-specific cycling problems on a public forum without a significant number of the posts on the thread being from male posters making lewd comments that have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Almost half of the posts on the first page of the thread are what you have described as "jovial banter".

The reason it's a big deal to me is that it's becoming clear that there is a large discrepancy between the numbers of male and female cyclists -- ColinJ's organising rides thread even mentions the scarcity of female riders on his rides. Not all women have sufficiently robust personalities to put up with this sort of nonsense, and as long as it's tolerated it will continue and women will continue to think of cycling and cycling fora as being laddish and therefore not entirely suitable for them. The protestations that we should discuss our issues elsewhere or be prepared to put up with it are typical male privilege.

You shouldn't have to say "yes I'm talking about boobs". It should be as ordinary and easy to discuss bras on a public cycling forum as it is to discuss shoes, shorts, chamois cream, saddles or anything else. The raising of a topic that is of interest to women specifically is not tacit permission for boys to start making suggestive comments.

I appreciate you have not taken offence, and I hope it doesn't come across as me taking offence on your behalf. That's not what I mean to do. I would just like to see CC as a place where women, no matter how sensitive, feel able to discuss cycling problems, whatever they are, without having to worry about male posters taking over the thread with lecherous banter. I think a polite request to stop should be complied with respectfully. It's not so much to ask.

Sam

Top Bottom