Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Re: shorts and underwear

Padded shorts are a great help. I started off wearing knickers under them, but on longish rides I still got sore at the knicker line around the back due to sweat and chafing. No probs in this area once I started wearing the shorts without underwear. The padding is designed to absorb (and de-odorise?) sweat.

Rebel Ian

Back on topic, I fell in love with Lululemon sportsbras when in Canada and the US. They do padded sports bras for those who are less well endowed and want a little help :smile: . I have a great one where you can change the strap arrangement but they seem to have stopped selling it already :wacko: .

EDIT: re the shorts and underwear, I always wore pants under my padded shorts when touring and never had any chafing issues. I couldn't be bothered having to wash and dry shorts every day.

Legitimate question.......why would anyone want a padded sports bra?! Sure I can understand some ladies wanting to enhance their features on a night out but surely when doing sport the idea is to just to keep your chest as secure and unobtrusive as possible so it isn't uncomfortable or hinder performance.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'd be lying in a heap at the side of the road wishing I carried more than one adrenaline injection and praying for a fast ambulance after that!

Sam

Including that incident, I think I was stung eight times that year. I'm not allergic, but the last of them got a more serious reaction and I was worried it might be cumulative...

Sorry for the deviation OT. I don't like the monoboob effect of hardcore sports bras - is that a bit vain? Unfussy non-underwired stuff for cycling, preferably in black to avoid the greying of frequently-washed whites. I don't any of the cycling I do high-impact enough to require any serious strapping-in. Running is a different matter. Luckily I don't do any of it unless I'm cutting it fine making last orders...

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Sorry for the deviation OT. I don't like the monoboob effect of hardcore sports bras - is that a bit vain? Unfussy non-underwired stuff for cycling, preferably in black to avoid the greying of frequently-washed whites. I don't any of the cycling I do high-impact enough to require any serious strapping-in. Running is a different matter. Luckily I don't do any of it unless I'm cutting it fine making last orders...

Shock Absorber do some nice ones that don't create monoboob. I've heard good things about Freya, too, but they use underwiring so I avoid those.

Sam

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Legitimate question.......why would anyone want a padded sports bra?! Sure I can understand some ladies wanting to enhance their features on a night out but surely when doing sport the idea is to just to keep your chest as secure and unobtrusive as possible so it isn't uncomfortable or hinder performance.

Padding may only be slight and if you haven't got much then the little you have you don't want squashed flat.

I use my bike for work/shopping/going out etc not for sport - and mine isn't the sort to hinder performance, so when I get off my bike I'm not about to go and get changed ... so I wear my normal wear. Sports bra's would probably show in some of the tops that I wear - though I noticed that in the link Helen provided there were some that might look more like a vest layered look instead.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Shock absorbers are fantastic- I'm not particularly large chested but I find that the fit is great and there is just no movement at all. Very, very good for running etc.

I have some standard M&S jobbies for usual cycling but have also worn normal underwired bras when commuting but would suggest some better support if you're a larger cup size.

Now my pet hate are those weird semi bra vesty things inside sports tops and swimwear- not enough support but then overkill when you're wearing a sports bra - it's that weird alignment issue!

Sam - good points - please be respectful guys.

It took me ages to realise that this was a thread about bras - I thought BRAS was some acronym or new cycling brand...
whistling.gif

pepecat

Ahhhhhh.... and ooooooo...... hadn't considered the 'wasp down the bib shorts' issue. Hmmmm. I seem to have more of an issue with smaller flying insects going down my throat than down my top though.

Excuse my ignorance here, but if one doesn't wear a front opening top, doesn't one overheat??

HelenD123

Legendary Member

Vanity, same as on a night out? As Summerdays says some sports bras can completely flatten your boobs if you don't have much to start with.

suecsi

I'm definitely not a fan of underwires when cycling, they just cut in nastily. However, I do wear standard office clothes on the Brompton (with padded shorts hidden underneath because of the potholes).

What I have found invaluable, though it probably only works for smaller busts (I'm a 34D), is Uniqlos 'Bra Top' vests. They have provided a great extra layer during the cold weather, they are quite long and keep my back warm. As well as the strip of elastic (which isn't enough on its own), they have lightly padded moulded cups.

I find they actually have more support in than my standard bras from M&S, which are the full coverage t-shirt type (with underwire) and they actually create a better cleavage at the front :smile:

I plan to continue wearing them through the summer as in the office I can throw on a black jacket and a scarf with the skirt or trousers and still look professional.

Edit: Just noticed - I am wearing one of the vests in my avatar picture ....

jethro10

Über Member
My wife is well built and we do mostly mountain bikes.
she just uses a normal Bra and says the randomness of the rocks and roughness doesn't produce a rhythm so it's unnecessary to use anything better to dampen the motion.

Jeff

Sallyann

Hi interesting topic i always wear a proper sports bra as i find it more comfortable & dont move about as much. Take a look at the 'less bounce' website excellent range and nice pics

Top Bottom