Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butterfly

Veteran
Get yourself measured.

Sam

By Bravissimo or Rigby and Peller or similar, who are used to larger breasts. I've been given rubbish measurements by M&S and Debenhams and the like. They tend to over do the back measurement and under do the cup size. My friend went from a 38C to a 34H and looked and felt soooo much better.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Do they?

It's about time I got measured again, to be honest. And luckily there's a Bravissimo in Edinburgh.

Sam

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Yay, it's good to see so many new girls on the forum :smile: . I wear my sports bras nearly all the time now. I think I got used to the comfort wearing them every day for months on tour last year and it felt weird going back to underwires. Luckily I picked up a not too sport looking one in the US and it's fine under my work clothes.

By Bravissimo or Rigby and Peller or similar, who are used to larger breasts. I've been given rubbish measurements by M&S and Debenhams and the like. They tend to over do the back measurement and under do the cup size. My friend went from a 38C to a 34H and looked and felt soooo much better.

Does anyone else find that the underwire thingies are the wrong shape for them? I certainly do, and so usually avoid wearing underwire entirely. If I do, in one of the more 'padded' styles, generally I need to increase a cup size just so the underwire doesn't cut in, even though I'm not then filling the cup (extra padding helps here)

Butterfly

Veteran
I find that with cheaper bras (sadly :rolleyes:). The cups are the wrong shape for my breasts. The other problem with bigger cups sizes is that they are sometimes too round - I think they are either designed for younger girls who don't droop so much :blush: or more - um - enhanced ladies.

Bluebell72

As someone who is larger-than-I-would-like in the boob department, I agree wholeheartedly with others who have said 'go and get measured'.
For years I just went to M&S, got measured there and bought a sports bra (their version of the shock absorber).
Then they changed the style to more of a vest-top look that seemed to roll up at the front, so I had to look elsewhere.

I got measured at Debenhams, and found that they carried a much better selection of bras - and I was a completely different size to the M&S measurement!

Thelma, and others about to emabark on major bra-buying, try as many different ones as you can be bothered to! It's time consuming, but when you get one that fits properly, it can alter your posture and silhouette.

I'm not good with underwireds either - I prefer the old style, supposedly in-style again now - where the cup is made of several different sections of material that give the proper 'lift and separate' effect, think 50's sweater girl ;) rather than the 'monoboob' sausage (so not good) that many sports bras create.

We should be loving our boobs and taking care of them, not flattening them :ohmy:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Daft question, you know the way that the middle bit of wired non-sports bras is meant to touch your breastbone between your boobs? Does the same apply for non-wired sports bras? Got one today, but have only just noticed that it doesn't go "back in" between my boobs. Can't decide if this is normal for sports bras or not.

But, my word, what a difference! Did lots of jumping up and down in front of the mirror and the girls hardly shifted! I got a Shock Absorber something-or-other and never have I felt so comfortable in an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder
biggrin.gif

buggi

Bird Saviour
Get yourself measured. It's one of the biggest favours you can do yourself. You can try measuring yourself but it's almost impossible to do accurately.

I've found that Shock Absorber are pretty accurate with their sizing if you have a professionally-done measurement.

Sam

do get yourself measured but don't take it as gospel. I was told by an assistant in a dedicated bra shop (a proper one, not la senza or bravissimo, but one of those ones that sells no nonsense bras) the only accurate bit is the measurement around the ribcage (as it happens I actually am smack bang between a 34 and a 36, but unfortunately they don't do 35 bras, but it doesn't matter anyway. The woman told me you should only use it as a guide as all bra manufacturers are different, particularly in the cup size. A "C" cup in one bra can be the same as a "B" or a "D" in another.

Therefore, you should ALWAYS try a bra on to see how it fits.

When trying on sports bras i wouldn't recommend buying one of those that has a double layer of material (so they look like a top rather than a bra) as you can't really see if your boobs fit in the bra properly.

I would also recommend bouncing around like a maniac in front of the mirror to see how much your boobs move to make sure you have the right size (mine don't at all in my shock absorber) and also, don't be afraid to lean forward and jiggle your boobs in the "cycling position".

And yes, as said, keep an eye on how old your bra's are, as the fibres start to give after a time (i must admit i didn't know this until recently and had some REALLY old ones) but also, i think i may have already said this, but drying by a heat source (i.e. radiator or tumble dryer) is a no no.

I've seen women with big boobs jogging without a sports bra and it makes me wince!
With shock absorber, i think the bra's they recommend for cycling are there level 3, but to be honest, i ain't taking any chances, i go for the top level!

i did write to shock absorber and told them we need a "cycling only" bra because of the position we are in on a road bike. Whether they listened i'm still to find out.

if you order from Next and have them on account, you can order different sizes and then return the ones you don't want, without having to pay for them all up front. Then just pay for the one you want. Triumph have a good reputation too but i prefer shock absorber

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
ok how many guys just wished they were a mirror . hands up :thumbsup:

I was actually enjoying how this thread was managing to be a perfectly ordinary, decent, practical conversation that was even enticing some of the quieter ladies to come out and discuss things girls don't generally get to talk about on a public forum because of juvenile interruptions.

It would be really, really good if it can stay that way and not turn back into a thread where lecherous comments from the guys are threatening to ruin a perfectly decent discussion.

Sam

buggi

Bird Saviour
Daft question, you know the way that the middle bit of wired non-sports bras is meant to touch your breastbone between your boobs? Does the same apply for non-wired sports bras? Got one today, but have only just noticed that it doesn't go "back in" between my boobs. Can't decide if this is normal for sports bras or not.

But, my word, what a difference! Did lots of jumping up and down in front of the mirror and the girls hardly shifted! I got a Shock Absorber something-or-other and never have I felt so comfortable in an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder
biggrin.gif

This is what i mean about not having a double layer. you can't see if the bra fits properly. to answer your question, i'm not entirely sure but i think it's supposed to. I think each cup is suppose to encase your full breast so that the support is in the correct place, but it might be worth dropping an email to them. i'm not wearing mine at the moment but i think it just touches, and i was torn between that one and one that didn't and i went for the one that did sit properly between my boobs. the woman in the shop suggested i tried different back sizes -v- cup sizes to get the right fit (i.e. go down a back size and up a cup size) but i'm not sure how accurate that is. Putting the clip at the back on the tightest setting can make a difference too.

I was actually enjoying how this thread was managing to be a perfectly ordinary, decent, practical conversation that was even enticing some of the quieter ladies to come out and discuss things girls don't generally get to talk about on a public forum because of juvenile interruptions.

It would be really, really good if it can stay that way and not turn back into a thread where lecherous comments from the guys are threatening to ruin a perfectly decent discussion.

Sam

i don't mind the odd joke, i'm sure even the quieter ladies have a sense of humour.

Top Bottom