Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:biggrin: Having been in the unfortunate position of running, on a treadmill, facing a mirror whilst not wearing a sports bra, I don't think the bounce-o-meter is a marketing ploy, either!

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
One thing I've sometimes wondered, but never felt brave enough to ask, is what do lady triathletes wear as support? Do they wear sports bras under their swimsuits, special swimsuits with extra support, or do they let the puppies swing?

I wear a sports bra underneath my tri suit. I have one suit that has a "support shelf" inside it, but I'm a 32DD, and it is simply inadequate support for that size.

There is no way that ladies with larger bosoms can run without support. To the uneducated gentleman it may be an excuse to ogle dangling and jiggling, but it's actually painful to run without support, no matter what they got up to on Baywatch; and, as mentioned upthread, exercising without support causes deterioration in the connective tissue and can lead to sagging.

Sam

deaksie

Hello

I entirely agree with Ravenbait. I'm in the same position it seems with regard to size. Whilst I'd never consider anything other than Shockabsorber Level 4 for gym/kickboxing/running, I'm generally more comfortable in a Level 3 for cycling (and mine's off road mountain biking). Short answer is that nothing should be moving when you're on the bike (despite the fantasies of a few of the boys on here!). The moisture-wicking effect is as relevant around your boobs as it is anywhere else, and there is nothing worse than an underwire out of place during a ride

The other thing to consider is that if you're likely to be working hard, your normal everyday bras won't stand up to the sweat and the wash/wear/wash/wear which is inevitable when you're exercising, so another reason to let your sports bras take the strain. Thelma, I know what you mean about the expense, but it's worth it I promise you
When it comes to bottoms, padded pants are definitely the way to go - Shimano surprisingly do some really nice tights with built in chamois, not expensive and very understanding of curves, which not all brands are. I also like northwave for the same reason

Good to see some girlie conversation on here- I ride mainly with a female friend, and we are slowly persuading our other mates to join us - up to 5 at the moment - maybe this time next year we will have a full-on all girl MTB club in the cotswolds - how good would that be? (not that we've got anything against the lads of course.......)

L x

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There's no reason why you can't wear them all the time. Just think, you'd have great boobs when you were a granny LOL I wouldn't recommend them on a hot date thought, they might be a bit of a passion killer

icon_lol.gif

Reason I was asking is that I CBA to change underwear to take the bike out, but am also thinking about commuting etc.

Right, after some similar comments by a cycling friend re: the need for a sports bra, this is me, convinced.

Have I mentioned how much I hate bra shopping?
biggrin.gif

surfdude

Veteran
icon_lol.gif

Reason I was asking is that I CBA to change underwear to take the bike out, but am also thinking about commuting etc.

Right, after some similar comments by a cycling friend re: the need for a sports bra, this is me, convinced.

Have I mentioned how much I hate bra shopping?
biggrin.gif

i can come and help you if you want :whistle:

deaksie

buy a bunch online - different sizes and cup sizes, try them all on in the comfort of your own home and send the rest back - sale of goods act says you can return anything from a website within 30 days and you get to take your time rather than puffing in a cramped changing room! I've always bought mine 1 back size bigger than I normally wear as they come up small

Happy shopping!
L

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I logged on to Boobydoo to buy a new sports bra, and looked in horror at the address they had for me. I didn't realise I'd had my "new" sports bra for so long!

suecsi

How do the sizes come up? I'm usually a 34D in a standard t-shirt bra, but I wear one with full coverage at the front, otherwise they feel like they will fall out.

The vests I wear are ok but I am thinking the sports bra fabric would be better for wicking off the sweat.

Usually on my 1.5 miles here and there as part of a mixed bike-train-train-bike commute on the Brompton, sweat isn't too much of an issue. However, last night the whole Southwest Trains network was messed up, and I ended up cycling the whole 12 miles home. Stamina wise, I was ok, but I was a little sweaty.

I usually by most of my undies in M&S so I guess I'll try there first, but suggestions welcome ... :biggrin:

Butterfly

Veteran
How do the sizes come up? I'm usually a 34D in a standard t-shirt bra, but I wear one with full coverage at the front, otherwise they feel like they will fall out.

The vests I wear are ok but I am thinking the sports bra fabric would be better for wicking off the sweat.

Usually on my 1.5 miles here and there as part of a mixed bike-train-train-bike commute on the Brompton, sweat isn't too much of an issue. However, last night the whole Southwest Trains network was messed up, and I ended up cycling the whole 12 miles home. Stamina wise, I was ok, but I was a little sweaty.

I usually by most of my undies in M&S so I guess I'll try there first, but suggestions welcome ... :biggrin:

I don't get on with M&S bras very well. If you are wearing 34D I would start by trying 32DD or E. If I were you I would go and get measured at Bravissimo and try a few on - you need to book at the weekend, but in the week they usually have space. I wear a shock absorber most days as I commute and don't change and find them comfortable.

On the back of the tandem I think a level 4 is an essential, particularly for those over a C cup.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Get yourself measured. It's one of the biggest favours you can do yourself. You can try measuring yourself but it's almost impossible to do accurately.

I've found that Shock Absorber are pretty accurate with their sizing if you have a professionally-done measurement.

Sam

Top Bottom