Bras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I totally agree with Sam here - sports bras are just so much more comfortable than normal bras especially under conditions of high exertion. Check out Less Bounce for a really fantastic selection.

I'm on the bigger end of the scale, shall we say, and wouldn't consider anything other than a pootle into town in my usual 'work' bras even though they're fullcup as opposed to balconnet etc. so no problems with 'overhang' :blush:

The other thing is I find that cycling clothes are made for the sleeker shape of sportsbra-dom - my cycling jackets, especially, get a bit tight across the front if I'm in a normal underwired bra.

And forwards-opening cleavage is dangerous in summer - if you've ever got a wasp down your front while descending a steep winding road, you'll know the wrong bra/top could be fatal :ohmy:

pepecat

Personally i just wear an ordinary bra at the moment, and find it fine. I'm fairly slim so don't really suffer (or notice) much 'jiggle' on bumpy roads! I notice my butt hurting far more on bumpy roads....
I've been thinking about getting a sports bra, just cos it's more comfortable, but i do find with the extra material around the straps / back with sports bras, i tend to get more sweaty. Which isn't nice.
As for the front opening top, well, i'd rather be cool than anything else, so if anyone wants a peek down my clevage for a second or two as they pass, they're welcome!:tongue:

carolonabike

I'm not overly well endowed so I'm fine just wearing a normal bra going to and from work but for longer rides I do prefer to wear a sports bra. They tend to be more comfortable as well as preventing 'jiggle' which, with the state of the roads at the moment can be uncomfortable, even for me!

I recently bought one of these and it's very comfy as well as giving a nicer line under cycle clothing as Fiona says.

zacklaws

Guru
I love potholes, anything that aids the "Jiggle" factor.

I shall have to start riding in front of lycra clad females in the club instead of behind and see if I can spot these Jiggly bits and see if I can offer some support myself, I might have an hand full of ideas. Perhaps a hand full of chamois cream might come in useful to reduce the chafing.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
And forwards-opening cleavage is dangerous in summer - if you've ever got a wasp down your front while descending a steep winding road, you'll know the wrong bra/top could be fatal :ohmy:

And I have a wasp allergy!

I usually use Sportjock, although the new Shock Absorber Ultimate Run bra is also good. I usually go to boobydoo.co.uk or Run and Become for my bras. I prefer bras that don't have any metal fastening or underwiring as I need to wear them for swimming when racing.

Sam

I shall have to start riding in front of lycra clad females in the club instead of behind and see if I can spot these Jiggly bits and see if I can offer some support myself, I might have an hand full of ideas. Perhaps a hand full of chamois cream might come in useful to reduce the chafing.

And you wonder why you're single.... :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Ravenbait

You'd get a high-speed hand in the face if you tried that with me.

While this is obviously meant to be good-natured, I would point out that comments like these are more annoying than flattering. Many women do not appreciate being reduced to the level of grope-material, even in jest. Given that women need all sorts of encouragement to start cycling and as little to put them off as possible, I think it would be a good idea to leave such blatantly objectivising comments off a thread where a woman is asking other women for advice.

I wouldn't go on a thread discussing prostrate pressure problems suggesting I have a quick tug on the tackle, so please show some semblance of mutual respect, eh? It's this sort of response that puts a lot of women off discussing female-specific cycling issues.

Sam

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Thanks for posting this thread Thelma, I was just saying to my other half yesterday, when we do coast and castles this year I need good comfortable underwear, all my bras have underwires as I need the support to hoike things north :whistle: was thinking of purchasing a couple of sports bras, also thanks ladies for posting the bra links...what about undies too? to wear or not to wear? I heard padding in shorts can also case chaffing on long journey's! :blush: anyone recommend good pants?

ChristinaJL

I've got an addidas sports top for everyday road riding, but also a shock absorber sports bra for impact sports such as mountain biking and spinning!! :biggrin:

ChristinaJL

Thanks for posting this thread Thelma, I was just saying to my other half yesterday, when we do coast and castles this year I need good comfortable underwear, all my bras have underwires as I need the support to hoike things north :whistle: was thinking of purchasing a couple of sports bras, also thanks ladies for posting the bra links...what about undies too? to wear or not to wear? I heard padding in shorts can also case chaffing on long journey's! :blush: anyone recommend good pants?

I don't wear anything with underwiring in as it digs in!! Oh and I don't wear pants either as they dig in and rub. :blush: Online I've bought stuff from Booby Doo (have to laugh at that name) http://www.boobydoo.co.uk/

Ravenbait

I don't wear underwear under shorts. Good cycle shorts are designed to be worn without.

Sam

Top Bottom