Bread makers any good ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I bought one of these -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...7/c_3/4|cat_14418587|Breadmakers|14418600.htm

Single paddle and much varying results! The loaves can rise so that they are touching the lid, but by the time they're finished the top sinks and the first two or three inches are a sunken crater.

What models have a double paddle design that produces a loaf that's more of a traditional loaf shape, and produce consistently good results?

Debian

stephec said:
I bought one of these -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...7/c_3/4|cat_14418587|Breadmakers|14418600.htm

Single paddle and much varying results! The loaves can rise so that they are touching the lid, but by the time they're finished the top sinks and the first two or three inches are a sunken crater.

What models have a double paddle design that produces a loaf that's more of a traditional loaf shape, and produce consistently good results
?

I think the consistent results arise more from accurately measuring the ingredients and using good quality flour. If the bread is sinking you may have slightly too much water in the mix, or not enough salt, or a combination of the two.

As to twin paddle machines, the one in my link earlier gets good reviews and at £28 currently it's a bargain.

The one I got from Lidl was £25 and it's been excellent but it's some unheard of make. Looks similar the the Rachel Allen one except it's white.

wafflycat

stephec said:
I bought one of these -

What models have a double paddle design that produces a loaf that's more of a traditional loaf shape, and produce consistently good results?

That sounds like you've got too much water in the mix - so that there's too much water compared to flour/yeast and it can't hold the rise.

Making bread is a variable thing - flours vary, yeasts vary, humidity & ambient temperature make a difference too to your ratio of ingredients.

Debian

stephec said:
Top advice on the water from you two. ;)

Glad to be of service :biggrin:

Update on my bread machine - the cheapy (£25) twin paddle machine that I posted about above and that I got from Lidl is going great guns. It's made by Silver Crest and I've been using it to make at least one and sometimes two or three loaves every day since January. It's performed faultlessly so far and produces consistent bread in a traditional tin loaf shape. Excellent bargain so far and highly recommended if anyone sees one at Lidl.

Debian

wafflycat said:
I made a rather tasty loaf today: mix of wholemeal & white flours, with mixed spice & apple added. The aroma when the loaf was baking was wonderful.

Did you add the chopped apple right at the beginning? Or after the dough was first mixed?

wafflycat

Debian said:
Did you add the chopped apple right at the beginning? Or after the dough was first mixed?

At the beginning - I just added a goodly sprinkling of mixed spice and chopped up some rings of dried apple into chunks and chucked them in too. Worked a treat!

Top Bottom