Break pad upgrades suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all . On my giant contend a year old now . I'm lookong to upgrade my breaks to somthing with a bit more stopping power .the original pads have plenty of life and cables are fine just looking to upgrade . Suggestions welcome thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
What are actual brake calipers?

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Why did I write Shimano sora .
They are
Brakes: Tektro R312 dual pivot and the wheels were Giant SR 2 Wheel Set which I've changed to mavic aksium wheels as the rear giant wheel needed hub replacement.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Why did I write Shimano sora .
They are
Brakes: Tektro R312 dual pivot and the wheels were Giant SR 2 Wheel Set which I've changed to mavic aksium wheels as the rear giant wheel needed hub replacement.

Sora brifters / groupset?
Anyhow, if you upgrade the callipers you'll see more benefits than just fitting better pads.
Plenty of places online selling 105 5800 callipers for £27-ish each.

bpsmith

Veteran
Merlin have a pair for £50.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-br-5800-road-bike-brake-calipers-pair-72355.html?source=PHG

Great to deal with and there are various vouchers that you can earn too.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Thanks a lot folks .

Would changing the tektro to 105 still be a decent upgrade without replacing the pads that come with the105 and is it just a matter of old tektro off and straight on with the 105 and Don't need anything else changed .

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes n yes
I had Tektro calipers on my first bike. People said pads will make more of a difference than calipers, so I did a test.

Swapped in 105 pads to Tektro calipers and braking improved greatly. Swapped calipers on bike to the 105’s but with Tektro pads. Braking actually improved again. Then 105 calipers and 105 pads. Yup. Braking was much better again.

My experience showed that calipers were a better upgrade than pads when moving from the basic Tektro.

Tektro do make some good calipers mind you, just not the basic ones that come with most bikes.

Top Bottom