Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content.........I'm gobsmacked!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem with porridge is that it takes 3 days to clean the pan/bowl after making it :smile:

This'll do the job in a jiffy! :okay:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfTs8EkTtFwob6Bf4bQfqyfCDbddh3OnHhvJHT4WxSsYdfQsW4QA.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The problem with porridge is that it takes 3 days to clean the pan/bowl after making it :smile:

you leave some behind? no one told me I was meant to do that!
I'm with SNSSO on that one!

Any residual strands of porridge are left to loosen by soaking the pan in with warm water.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just looking at a random tub of ice cream in the freezer, 4 teaspoons of sugar in 100 g of ice cream, yikes............I've just had a large bowl full........(oh and strangely only 8.4g fat per 100g)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Generally when shopping we look for 4% fat and max 8% sugar. We buy the Aldi fat free yoghurt which has a 'reasonable' amount of sugar. However sometimes I/we make the error of assuming certain things are healthy--------hence this thread, as I assumed bran flakes & Oats-so-Simple would be healthy.
Define 'healthy' in respect to a single food item ...

Define 'healthy' in respect to a single food item ...

A healthy food is one that is not unhealthy!! ^_^

Of course your trap is ignoring the need for a balance and variety.

How I approach it is to see what I eat as a whole and then take care with amounts in any direction - be it fat, sugar, salt or whatever.

As a general rule of thumb - if Americans eat it then try to eat less of it.

Isn't that just cereal though? The post I responded to seemed to be knocking cereal as bad but I could not think of a better breakfast.
<snip>
so fine that it is low in fat and sugar but then most people add sugar and make it with milk that can have fat in

Can have fat in?

erm full fat is 4% and semi-skimmed is 1.7%, and if you like skimmed milk A.K.A. 'chalk water' is much less (having nothing else left other than calcium?)

Milk is not, and never will be the problem - I'm the guy that does 1/3 box of cereal at a sitting - it's pigging out that's the problem!

You also posted this:-

"It is pointless going by the portion amounts - just look at everything per 100g. That way you easily see the percentage fat and sugar in everything."

Not done that have you? Milk has 3/5 of bugger all, WE ALL KNOW it's only processed crap that is silly for balance. Fat or sugar = flavour = pie arse.

As an aside, why is it can I recite all this from memory but not pay any attention...

classic33

Leg End Member
Food has to be full of something ....

Carbs - Sugars, Starches, Dextrins, Fibre (soluble and insoluble)
Protein
Fat
Minerals and Vitamins
Water
Additives - flavours, colours, thickeners, sweetners, stabilisers etc etc.

If you take 10% of something out, you have to replace it with something else and that's not always going to be 'healthy/desirable' or cost effective. There are many ways to achieve similar goals depending on target consumer.
Also, the dose defines the poison - high sugar foods are often fine for the active cyclists but bad for the couch potato.
Don't drink water then.

Can have fat in?

erm full fat is 4% and semi-skimmed is 1.7%, and if you like skimmed milk A.K.A. 'chalk water' is much less (having nothing else left other than calcium?)

Milk is not, and never will be the problem - I'm the guy that does 1/3 box of cereal at a sitting - it's pigging out that's the problem!

You also posted this:-

"It is pointless going by the portion amounts - just look at everything per 100g. That way you easily see the percentage fat and sugar in everything."

Not done that have you? Milk has 3/5 of bugger all, WE ALL KNOW it's only processed crap that is silly for balance. Fat or sugar = flavour = pie arse.

As an aside, why is it can I recite all this from memory but not pay any attention...

Can have fat in = you can buy it with or without.

Your issue may be quantity but I think you may be assuming the same issue for everyone who is taking in too many calories. For the vast majority of people the problem is the wrong food rather than the amount.

It is very easy to show the problem-
Let us pitch a figure of someone eating 800g of food per day. That is quite a bit, about a standard loaf of bread. It is quite difficult to pitch a figure as wet or dry food varies this. But just to work on a number.
100g of carbs is about 100 calories
100g of fruit is about 50 calories
100g of veg is about 50 calories
100g of meat is 200 calories
100g of fat is 900 calories
100g of sugar is 400 calories

Now say if i make up my 800g with 200g of carbs veg fruit and meat then that is only 800 calories. (but if you pig out and eat half as much again you still are only on 1200 calories)

But now go with 200g sugar 200g fat, 200g meat 200g carbs (a typical bad diet of processed food today) and our same 800g is packing in 3200 calories.

So really if you eat the right food you can eat quite a bit. If you eat the wrong food you don't need to eat much at all to be over your calorie needs.

Of course it is better to manage the quantity if you eat vast amounts but cutting down quantity is a rather difficult way of reducing calories an is very often the reason for a diet failing. Better to keep the quantity about the same and address what is eaten.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
It's crazy how much salt/fat/sugar is in breakfast foods. Before you've even left the house you've had nearly a days worth of all of them. In balance with a good diet this isnt too bad but again pick up a lunch/evening meal and you can almost guarantee you've gone over your daily for all of them. Same as things like fruit yoghurt. It's just full fat yoghurt with a big dollop of jam. Home made bircher is the way to go!!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Can have fat in = you can buy it with or without.

Your issue may be quantity but I think you may be assuming the same issue for everyone who is taking in too many calories. For the vast majority of people the problem is the wrong food rather than the amount.

It is very easy to show the problem-
Let us pitch a figure of someone eating 800g of food per day. That is quite a bit, about a standard loaf of bread. It is quite difficult to pitch a figure as wet or dry food varies this. But just to work on a number.
100g of carbs is about 100 calories
100g of fruit is about 50 calories
100g of veg is about 50 calories
100g of meat is 200 calories
100g of fat is 900 calories
100g of sugar is 400 calories

Now say if i make up my 800g with 200g of carbs veg fruit and meat then that is only 800 calories. (but if you pig out and eat half as much again you still are only on 1200 calories)

But now go with 200g sugar 200g fat, 200g meat 200g carbs (a typical bad diet of processed food today) and our same 800g is packing in 3200 calories.

So really if you eat the right food you can eat quite a bit. If you eat the wrong food you don't need to eat much at all to be over your calorie needs.

Of course it is better to manage the quantity if you eat vast amounts but cutting down quantity is a rather difficult way of reducing calories an is very often the reason for a diet failing. Better to keep the quantity about the same and address what is eaten.
Doesn't this depend on what you actually do with your life though? Sure if you're a couch potato but myself for instance, have a physical manual job, ride a bike, play a bit of badminton, help coach kids football etc etc, I can pretty much eat what I want and maintain my 75kg ( I do try to eat reasonably "healthy" but if I fancy a bowl of coco pops I'll have them). I would suggest if you have an active physical lifestyle you NEED a lot more calories.

Doesn't this depend on what you actually do with your life though? Sure if you're a couch potato but myself for instance, have a physical manual job, ride a bike, play a bit of badminton, help coach kids football etc etc, I can pretty much eat what I want and maintain my 75kg ( I do try to eat reasonably "healthy" but if I fancy a bowl of coco pops I'll have them). I would suggest if you have an active physical lifestyle you NEED a lot more calories.

Very true. Lots of people do maintain a good balance be they on 1000 or 3000 calories a day. There are lots of factors such as gender, body weight and even just your metabolism that are factors. I was really making the point that Fat and Sugar are amazingly different from other foods in the amount of calories they contain that by just changing their makeup in your diet you can fairly easily control your intake of calories (if you need to that is).

My post was to really say that this way is quite easy to adopt with no suffering on the person wishing to cut down on calories.
The world of diets seems to go in rather a different direction and to target carbs rather than fat and sugar. There is also the rather mad fad at the moment that you go on a fast and starve yourself for two days per week. Seems the worst suggestion but then people do it!

It's crazy how much salt/fat/sugar is in breakfast foods. Before you've even left the house you've had nearly a days worth of all of them. In balance with a good diet this isnt too bad but again pick up a lunch/evening meal and you can almost guarantee you've gone over your daily for all of them. Same as things like fruit yoghurt. It's just full fat yoghurt with a big dollop of jam. Home made bircher is the way to go!!

The latest fad seems to be to sell you a packet of biscuits for breakfast but it is OK and not at all odd as they are called Breakfast Biscuits!

I go to a weekly class in a local hall and we are in after the local weightwatchers (or some other similar) group is in there. I am amazed that the organiser has a great big car that she fills up with boxes and boxes of crisps, sweets and snacks that she has been flogging to the chubbies.

Top Bottom