Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content.........I'm gobsmacked!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
The latest fad seems to be to sell you a packet of biscuits for breakfast but it is OK and not at all odd as they are called Breakfast Biscuits!

I go to a weekly class in a local hall and we are in after the local weightwatchers (or some other similar) group is in there. I am amazed that the organiser has a great big car that she fills up with boxes and boxes of crisps, sweets and snacks that she has been flogging to the chubbies.
Totally agree, it makes no sense, a biscuit is a biscuit. If you want a biscuit, have a biscuit, don't hide fibre in it with the same fat/sugar as a normal biscuit and call it breakfast.

Shredded wheat and banana is pretty awesome, but if going on a big ride you can't beat an omelette.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The problem with porridge is that it takes 3 days to clean the pan/bowl after making it :smile:
Not the way I do it... If porridge does not have long enough to absorb liquid, personally I find the feeling of it swelling inside my stomach* uncomfortable, so I put some oats in a bowl the night before, add water, and cover it with a plate. In the morning, I bung it in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds (or thereabouts), slop some milk on, bit of yoghurt if any in the firdge. splodge of honey or sugar (none of that self-flagellating salt mullarkey), and there you go... digestible porridge, quick and no mess. :smile:

*oo'er :okay:

[Edit: credit to @Dave7 for pointing out that I hadn't added any liquid :okay:]

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Having once bought a box of unsalted, unsweetened museli,xx( I think I can confirm why these things are added.:hungry:

My general rule of thumb after 35 years on this planet is that if it's nice, it's probably bad for me for me and I should eat less of it :sad:

Sandra6

Veteran
Can you suggest something better then?
I think you will struggle.

It is pointless going by the portion amounts - just look at everything per 100g. That way you easily see the percentage fat and sugar in everything.

There are lots of bad breakfast foods for sale. The cereal itself is fine, it is just the fat and sugar added to it that is the problem. Easy answer is to not buy the ones full of fat and sugar.
Chewing a piece of cardboard would be better for you than a bowl of cornflakes.
Healthier options? Eggs, yogurt and fruit, pancakes, a sandwich, cheese scone.
Its not difficult to think of an alternative.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not the way I do it... If porridge does not have long enough to absorb liquid,
so I put some oats in a bowl the night before, and cover it with a plate. In the morning, I bung it in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds (or thereabouts), . :smile:
*oo'er :okay:
I assume you add some liquid of sorts ????

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I assume you add some liquid of sorts ????
Aha, thank you. I will edit my post :okay:

Chewing a piece of cardboard would be better for you than a bowl of cornflakes.
Healthier options? Eggs, yogurt and fruit, pancakes, a sandwich, cheese scone.
Its not difficult to think of an alternative.
Alternatives yes - healthy NO!

The bench mark of corn flakes is 0.4% fat.

You come up with Eggs at 9% fat and cheese scones at 20% fat and call them healthy! Very funny.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3644215, member: 259"]Eggs are an excellent breakfast food.[/QUOTE]

You can't eat eggs..........they are full of cholesterol!!!
Oh hang on......that was last weeks thinking----this week they're good for you :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
Alternatives yes - healthy NO!

The bench mark of corn flakes is 0.4% fat.

You come up with Eggs at 9% fat and cheese scones at 20% fat and call them healthy! Very funny.
So sorry. I didn't realise we were measuring nutritional value based on fat content alone.
There's more to achieving a balanced diet than knowing how many grams fat and sugar you've consumed.
Fat is not the enemy!

[QUOTE 3644212, member: 259"]Out of curiosity, which cereals are full of fat?[/QUOTE]

For example Cheerios are 6% fat and many cereal bars are up to 20% fat. All Bran breakfast biscuit is 8% fat

Most in raw form (cornflakes or Weetabix for example) are under 3%

So sorry. I didn't realise we were measuring nutritional value based on fat content alone.
There's more to achieving a balanced diet than knowing how many grams fat and sugar you've consumed.
Fat is not the enemy!

We were looking at "Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content". So the focus of discussion was the amount of fat or sugar in breakfast cereal. The subtext of that is the calories in the fat and sugar bunged in the cereal.

As a number of others have pointed out it does also run into other elements of the food what is in it and how much is eaten and indeed your lifestyle too.

But if you think Cheese Scones are OK then I will not be picketing Greggs.

Sandra6

Veteran
Actually @Over The Hill you asked for alternatives, then declared my suggestions to be not healthy.
Given their lower calorific value and much reduced salt and sugar content, not to mention the lack of added chemicals, I would still consider them healthier than a bowl of cornflakes as part of a balanced diet.
You are free to disagree, but I will still be right.

Top Bottom