breakfast????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Andy - new bike is marvelous, except for the blow out on day two. Spent 3 1/2 hrs fixing it. Know all about tyres, tubes, slime, pumps, brakes as well.

Just need to learn about the gears now (settings etc,). I obviously have to maintain this bike myself as the LBS is no good. Enjoying watching Bicycle tutor.com videos. They are very clear and concise.

Well with my new heart rate monitor and better diet, there is no stopping me now.:ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
As a general rule of thumb for gears (and somebody will correct this if they know better) use the little cog at the front with the 3-4 biggest at the back, the middle with the 3-4 in the middle and the big one with the 3-4 smallest. This stops you getting ridiculous angles on the chain which are mechanically inefficient and help wear it out quicker.

A very good reference book to have on the shelf is Bicycle Technology by Rob van der Plas. This explains everything you need to know about maintenance and a bit of theory too.

It's also a good idea to get hold of a small book on the theory of training with a heart rate monitor. You should be able to pick one up in the sports department of any decent book shop.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

I am using the HRM as a preventative really. To make sure I dont do too much. My muscles are getting sore before my rate is too high, so I dont know how long it will take to get my heart up to top end to start getting fit. I keep stopping when my legs tell me to. That is now well below puffing and fast heart beat time.

In other words, my legs start cramping (fibromyalgia) and ME when my heart beat is only 135. My max is 175 so I dont think my legs will let me get there. Restng is 94. So my lungs and heart are not working much, I dont think.

I am doing more of the hills daily and my lungs and heart dont mind and it is getting easier for my legs too. In the middle of the ride, on the flat, my rate is only 110. Only once did I go to 155 and that was the worst hill at the end of the ride. Usually I walk that as a warm-down.

I should be going at 155 - 165 to be doing any good but I get cramps in the muscles way before that.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

dont know, how do I work that out? I think I read somewhere count how many pedals in 15 seconds and x4. Is that per leg (count one leg). will try that today, but my flat bits of road are only just that long, the rest is uphill and downhill, how does that coome into it?

Top Bottom