breakfast????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Andy, I would be interested if you could give me the author name, or book name, or subject name, so I could look on google and find out what it is about. I am Rhesis B Neg, but cant give blood because of the M.E. and I have very low blood pressure, high pulse and low blood sugar, hypoglycaemic. (My blood is no good for anyone, not even me :tongue: ).

I dont have to diet, am sigle and 46 and dont have the energy for men, so I dont care about weight really, I'm ok at 60kgs. Except for the tummy from too many chocolate biscuits. But I would be interested in that subject purely from the feeling better and more energy point of view.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Andy, just googled it, (blood group dietry advice) , plenty there, 2 1/2 million to look through. See you later.

Arch

Married to Night Train
k turner said:
I dont have to diet, am sigle and 46 and dont have the energy for men, so I dont care about weight really, I'm ok at 60kgs. Except for the tummy from too many chocolate biscuits.

No offence meant but this made me laugh! They can take a lot of care, though, men, more than a pony!:tongue: (Also, I know all about the tummy from chocolate biscuits!:biggrin:)

The brake squeal is something you can easily keep on top of - it's caused by tiny vibrations from dirt that builds up, so keeping the rims clean will see to it, like you've done - even just a wipe with some detergent/soapy water every so often.

The fitness diary might be a good idea - although I guess that with the CFS you will probably have good days and bad days, so I guess it's important not to let the worse days discourage you. Once again, I think you're already doing wonderfully just coping and getting on with life that includes as big a commitment as a pony - puts me to shame when I can't be bothered to get down to the allotment, and I'm perfectly well....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
k turner said:
My breaks are squealing very badly and the neighbour toed them in, and said they just have to wear in as the bike is new. I got fed up with the noise and oiled them after I got back this morning.

Dont worry, by that I mean used the squirty stuff they sold me and a cloth on the rims.

Just to be doubly clear - you haven't oiled either the brake pad or the rim have you.... - I have seen it done - and yes it does sort of stop the squeal - until you crash.

Arch said:
The brake squeal is something you can easily keep on top of - it's caused by tiny vibrations from dirt that builds up, so keeping the rims clean will see to it, like you've done - even just a wipe with some detergent/soapy water every so often.

Oh you learn something new every day.... I didn't know that - thank you.

Danny

Legendary Member
The British Association For Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT) is the governing body for nutritionists. They should be able to provide you with details of approved nutritionists in your area.

Some nutritionists are attached to GPs so it might be possible to get a referral.

GPs should be actively promoting the take up of exercise by their patients, so suggest you explain to your GP that you are starting to take up cycling and want advice on the best form of diet to support your new activity.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Thanks all some really good suggestions again.

I got there and back twice a day for 3 days now. I had to because Pony got a kick from a big one on his back leg and I have to hose it and put cream on twice a day or the flies will lay eggs in it and he will get maggots.

Those of you congratulating me on doing this for the pony, may like to know that after my divorce we split one pony each, and this is the childrens pony that I have kept. The children are now 17 and 21!!! and I am still looking after the pony. One daughter engaged and getting married, moving out etc, and I am keeping the pony for the grandchildren. Unfortunately I am the one looking after it now, much like a hamster I suppose!!!

I am using gears 4,5 & 6 now, because I have to pedal less, although it is a little more resistance. I am going so much faster now, and found that I have to press the brakes further, therefore the squeaking has stopped completely on the back and much better on the front.

Is it right that the neighbour said although he has adjusted them, toed in, they will still have to bed in as it is a new bike. He did it a week ago, and they are still squeeling.

I cant be doing that at 6 in the morning because I will be waking people up, you can hear it from about 3 roads away at that time of the morning!! So now I have to get off and walk the downhills as well to stop the noise.:wacko:

k turner said:
Thanks all some really good suggestions again.

I got there and back twice a day for 3 days now. I had to because Pony got a kick from a big one on his back leg and I have to hose it and put cream on twice a day or the flies will lay eggs in it and he will get maggots.

Those of you congratulating me on doing this for the pony, may like to know that after my divorce we split one pony each, and this is the childrens pony that I have kept. The children are now 17 and 21!!! and I am still looking after the pony. One daughter engaged and getting married, moving out etc, and I am keeping the pony for the grandchildren. Unfortunately I am the one looking after it now, much like a hamster I suppose!!!

I am using gears 4,5 & 6 now, because I have to pedal less, although it is a little more resistance. I am going so much faster now, and found that I have to press the brakes further, therefore the squeaking has stopped completely on the back and much better on the front.

Is it right that the neighbour said although he has adjusted them, toed in, they will still have to bed in as it is a new bike. He did it a week ago, and they are still squeeling.

I cant be doing that at 6 in the morning because I will be waking people up, you can hear it from about 3 roads away at that time of the morning!! So now I have to get off and walk the downhills as well to stop the noise.;)

So how is it comming along?

Adrian

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Got sore legs from doing too much on the hills and going twice a day and using gears 5 and 6 and stopped the Boost drinks.

Dont know which one, or few of those things did it, but have gone back a few steps back to 1 and 2 gears and original route with less hills and getting the drinks again. Today was OK again.

But the brake noise which got fixed yesterday is back with a vengence because it rained. That is what started it in the first place.

Any thoughts about brakes and rain? You could comment on my other thread about brake trouble.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Don't worry about going back a gear or two, it is, as you surmise a result of making more effort. Stick at the easier level for two or three days until your legs feel fully recovered and then gradually up the effort. It will be a sort of three paces forward, two paces back effect. The good news is that you will notice that you will be falling back every time to a slightly higher level than before.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Andy, I was definately doing too much, but found it very easy yesterday and today when I cut back to my starting level again.

Got a heart monitor from Pharmacy for £7.99. I was worried my heart was going to burst the first two weeks and I was sweating madly. I can breath now and the sweating has settled down and the heart is not straining so much. Just to make sure, my resting rate is 96, always been high, working round the house and using stairs, 120, on my ride today on the uphills I was mostly 140 but twice went to 152. Now I know what the 150 feels like and my max should be 175, so I was going high light to low medium on the picture in the book.

I feel better now knowing what is going on, and I can aim to get it higher. Surprisingly on the way home, a lot of down hill and straights, I was on 115.

I am going to start an excel spreadsheet as suggested by one health site and keep track.

I conquered one of the short hard hills today and let go of the bars waving at my friend, and realised I was riding without holding on!!!

I feel like a toddler, when there is a first for everything everyday. (Doing pavements and trying to stand now as well).

Thanks guys for all the encouragement, but just waffling on here makes me feel I am achieving something.

Bought new brake pads, going to try to put them on tonight and get my friend to check them. Probably take me about 3 hrs watching that cycle site video.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
k turner said:
Andy, I was definately doing too much, but found it very easy yesterday and today when I cut back to my starting level again.

Got a heart monitor from Pharmacy for £7.99. I was worried my heart was going to burst the first two weeks and I was sweating madly. I can breath now and the sweating has settled down and the heart is not straining so much. Just to make sure, my resting rate is 96, always been high, working round the house and using stairs, 120, on my ride today on the uphills I was mostly 140 but twice went to 152. Now I know what the 150 feels like and my max should be 175, so I was going high light to low medium on the picture in the book.

I feel better now knowing what is going on, and I can aim to get it higher. Surprisingly on the way home, a lot of down hill and straights, I was on 115.

I am going to start an excel spreadsheet as suggested by one health site and keep track.

I conquered one of the short hard hills today and let go of the bars waving at my friend, and realised I was riding without holding on!!!

I feel like a toddler, when there is a first for everything everyday. (Doing pavements and trying to stand now as well).

Thanks guys for all the encouragement, but just waffling on here makes me feel I am achieving something.

Bought new brake pads, going to try to put them on tonight and get my friend to check them. Probably take me about 3 hrs watching that cycle site video.

It's none of my business but I'd say a HRM is probably a good buy. When I had CFIDs I had an irregular heartbeat and then stopped using them for a while and started again recently. On the nutrition side, the Sheffield M.E. lot were quite good in the past, don't know what they're like now.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Thanks for that, I am a member of Sheffield ME but they are too far to get to. Buses jolt my spine a lot. And I still have to walk all over the place at the other end, will turn into a 5 hr round trip (bus 1hr each way and walk right across town).

Heart rate monitor is so good, I love it, I now know my heart can take much more, just my breathing and muscles have to catch up. At least I know what I'm doing is safe.

Feel quite ill from eating meat chicken and eggs all the time, so I am going to have a fruit week. Usually I dont have real meat, just fish or quorn and Linda McCartneys. Slimfast meal replacement is nice, I am having a lot of that to get extra meals without having to cook and digest it!

yoyo

I have used D'Adamo's Eat Right for Your Type diet with enormous success. IT is not scientifically proven and is rather restrictive but colleagues and family cannot believe the change. I feel so well, no craving for food, no low blood sugar level, clear thinking as opposed to brain fuzziness before, weight loss of 1.5 stone in six months. I had no idea that what one ate could affect so much. The weight loss significantly improved my stamina and hill climbing ability but I did not have any other physical problems. I do attend a naturopath privately and this has been very helpful. Good luck with the cycling. I admire your determination and commitment.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
k turner said:
Thanks for that, I am a member of Sheffield ME but they are too far to get to. Buses jolt my spine a lot. And I still have to walk all over the place at the other end, will turn into a 5 hr round trip (bus 1hr each way and walk right across town).

Heart rate monitor is so good, I love it, I now know my heart can take much more, just my breathing and muscles have to catch up. At least I know what I'm doing is safe.

Feel quite ill from eating meat chicken and eggs all the time, so I am going to have a fruit week. Usually I dont have real meat, just fish or quorn and Linda McCartneys. Slimfast meal replacement is nice, I am having a lot of that to get extra meals without having to cook and digest it!

I've just noticed the difference between your first couple of posts and your most recent couple and I don't think I've ever seen anybody make so much progress in such a short time. I reckon most of that progress is psychological. For instance you now feel quite relaxed about getting your heart racing now and then (obviously reassured by the monitor). Most of the rest of your progress will be physical. In fact I suspect your biggest short term hurdle will be the initial learning curve of fiddling with the bike to keep it in good condition.

Keep it up!

Top Bottom