breakfast????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Thanks Sappa. I usually only have 3 meals a week and fill up on cereal and apples, it is easier than cooking. But this last 10 days I have been making myself eat better. I am now having cheese, eggs, tuna, bread, rice, I also bought Horlicks and Hot chocolate to have a litre of milk everyday. I definately have more energy. I just wanted a short cut with those muscle building things so I dont have to cook. I have also been eating carrots at the horse's yard to give me energy to ride home.

I think a light weight bike with thin smooth tyres would have been easier than this one??

yello

I feel completely out of my depth in suggesting anything, and I really wish I could provide the perfect answer for you... but obviously I can't. I think all anyone can do is offer suggestions.

You sound as though you know yourself, your general health and well being pretty darned well. Better than your GP. I'd suggest you trust yourself with finding your own solution.

I find (and I'm not comparing myself to you) that I have to experiment a little with any advice I am given, or anything I read somewhere. From what you've read here, or elsewhere, pick and choose on the basis of what you feel might work for you. Experiment with it, see how you go and change as you feel.

Listen to your body (I hope that doesn't sound too new agey!), if you have a craving for something it's probably due to the system wanting carbs, or protein, or whatever. I'll often ride before breakfast, but I suspect no breakfast is not an option for you, you need the energy stores. But you don't have to eat a lot, a small bowl of porridge with some honey may be enough... and take a banana or cereal bar with you.

I do think it'll be trial and error for you to find the answer though.

KT!

Firstly welcome to this forum; there is a lot of good advice to be found here. :blush:

You mentioned that your breathing and sweating are coming under control, which just shows you that your stamina and fitness is improving, and should continue to do so.

Whilst wanting to encourage cycling in every possible way, I was wondering if buying a small moped/scooter might be more convenient/practical for you, particularly in the darker, wetter, colder months.

http://www.scooter.co.uk/50cc-scooters-for-sale.html

As regards breakfast, I would recommend a bowl of porridge with honey and a banana, and a glass of milk. You journey is only a mile, but how long are you with your pony before you return home?

Some dried/fresh fruit or some cake/chocolate/energy bar should see you home, when you can have a hearty dinner.

But whatever you decide, good luck to you! ;)

Sound Advice Yello

Hi Yello,

I agree with you whole heartedly...

KT (I like that) this is the other thread I was referring to earlier

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Something I have just remembered. I read in a science magazine (New Scientist?) regarding isotonic and energy drinks. I am sure that the article recommended the best drink to drink is semi-skimmed milk after exercise. It has all the salts that the body needs coupled with a balance of carbs, protein and some fat.

Adrian

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't take muscle supplements with your conditions - how about an energy drink like Isostar Long Energy/PSP etc... - you can mix it up how strong you like it - most are a bit potent on full strength.

Your breakfast is the ideal sort of thing for long release, but that coupled with chronic fatigue may not help for the get up and go. An energy drink may give you enough get up and go to get there, then have breakfast there.

It can take time for your stomach to get used to the food intake - I eat oats/musili just before I go out, but I've got used to it with such a small delay - if I don't eat, I just end up munching all morning....

I'd advise trying various suggestions now, rather than in the winter months, so you can get it right now for you. It's a bit tricky for us to advise, other than what most of us do, but none of us really understand your conditions. My brother has suffered chronic fatigue or possibly ME but it's never been pin pointed - he's in his early 20's, slim, but sometimes has to stay in bed...that said, he's just qualified as a dentist !

Keep asking away, and we'll do what we can to help !

gbb

Legendary Member
[email]kturner1@tiscali.co.uk[/email] said:
gbb - I think they have sold me the wrong thing actually. It is an apollo cross country with wide treads like wellies underneath. (Like bmx tyres). It is 17 inch, which my neighbour says is too small. It has been back twice to be fixed in the first three days, but I cant take it back anymore as I cant cycle 16miles yet. My neighbour who has been cycling for 40 years adjusted everything for me. He moved the seat forward, handle bars up, seat up, fixed the geaers as they were missing and the chain was jumping off. I have 18 gears. But only use up to no.3 or 4 at present. (3 on the left and 6 on the right.)

Apologies in advance if i state the obvious ;)

Has your friend pumped up the tyres as hard as he reasonably can. Underinflated tyres sap away your effort.
Can you lock the front suspension ? Again, suspension will sap you unesseccarily.
Maybe think about some better tyres. Thinner, and maybe more road specific. Again, this will help.
You've only been cycling a week ? Your muscles need a while to strengthen...thats the same for all of us at first.

Keep at it kt.....

yello

Do you feel okay on a litre of milk a day? Full fat?? That's a fair amount in my opinion and would give me a bit of stomach discomfort.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming.

I will check the tyre pressure and find out about the suspension. I will also investigate better/easier tyres. I am trying to get a gel seat cover and was advised to buy a new seat. Very soon all I will be left with is the frame. lol. Definately got the wrong bike.

I will try cutting down my breakfast and taking some things with me and finish breakfast there, or at home. (It is tiring to eat and digest as well). Sounds silly that.

I will buy some of those drinks suggested, like I said I tried boost yesterday and today. I have to be careful with red bull and drink is slowly or get a sugar crash afterwards, then of course I have another one to keep going again. Bad catch 22 to get into that one. I divided the boost into four bottles and sipped away all day long to spread out the effect.

Back to those build up formulas again, if I have some of that to give me the energy to get going then I will be able to cycle and have energy to make a big breakfast when I get back. They are very expensive though. Even the bars are £20 for 10. Maybe I will get some and experiment.

Is stitch because your body is taking the energy into your stomach for digestion or is it a muscle that cramps or both?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Yello - I have always had a litre of semi skimmed in the boxes, most is for the cereal I have all the time. I got the runs when I was pregnant and having 2 litres a day, but when I went back to one I was OK again.

I was wondering if I have a problem with dairy, as I find bread gives me indigestion if it is white, but not the brown if I have less.

I have four bottles of water a day as well with my pills, so plenty liquid. I have just increased from 3 litres a day to about 5 as I want enough so I dont cramp my hamstrings cycling.

fossyant

Right - just buy a powder energy drink - about £10 a tub, and if mixed without shoving loads in, it will last you - don't go spending for the sake of it.

A stitch hmmm - it's not food - much more common with running - here is an explanation......off the web but seems reasonable..... the thing about food shouldn't affect cycling as the body is static - not bouncing about. With time and getting fitter, the stitch will go.... I find that breathing out very fast, when running, and repeating, helps - I never get it cycling though !

The reason for stitch is simple. The inner organs are hanging from several ligaments, which, in turn, are fixed to the diaphragm, the muscular "plate" between chest and abdomen. Liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine and colon form a weight of several kilograms, hanging from the diaphragm. The impact of every step forces the inner organs to move downwards. Additionally, the diaphragm moves upwards on every expiration to force air out of the lungs. This continuous up/down stress may cause a cramp in the diaphragm: stitch. Stitch occurs most often on the right hand side because of the liver being the heaviest organ, and therefore the one stressing the diaphragm the most.

Should you suffer from stitch, the first (and best) cure is to slow down or stop until the stitch is gone. If you do not want to stop, you can try to press your hand onto the part of your abdomen where the stitch is, and release the pressure on expiration. Repeat this several times.

An advanced method requires some thoughts about the reason why stitches occur. You should try to synchronise your breathing pattern with your running, and exhale when the foot on the not hurting side touches the ground, i.e. when you have stitch in your right hand side, try to exhale when your left foot touches the ground. You do not need to worry about inspiration - if your expiration is right, your inspiration will be, too. If you manage to keep this breathing pattern, your diaphragm moves downward at the same time as your intestines, thus decreasing the stress.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Fossyant - that explanation is great.

I hold my core muscles tight when riding the horse, but I need control for my body and his.

I feel I dont need to control the bike so I have been saving my energy for pedalling and letting everything else hang loose, so to speak, and relax my shoulders and hands as well.

When you ride a horse every muscle in your body it tense (being held) as you need to influence which way and what speed you are going by using your whole body.

I have just been letting everything go slack on the bike. Although when I look at other bike riders, which I didnt do before, I notice they look very tense and strained and putting real effort in like I would on a horse. (Those ones in the right gear on fast bikes).

So should I be using my core muscles to keep diaphram etc in place, I can hold them for a long time effortlessly from the horse riding.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Sappa - briefly scanned the article in your post, I see horseriding was on the list of sports that bounces things around. Seeing as I use core muscle control on a horse, that is why I dont get stich. I also warm up properly in case they play up and I have to move fast for balance and keeping control, cant afford to have a torn muscle because you didint warm up before getting on.

I think I need to apply the same principles on the bike. Of course it will go where I want and the speed I want and wont jump 12 foot sideways away from wheely bins or barking dogs! and then spin round and take off home on its own with or without me.

I thought bikes would be easier, but the pedalling and getting out of breath is all aerobic which I am not used to.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Got to get to sleep now, thanks for all the advice, I will try as much as I can tomorrow and check back for more info tomorrow night.

Thanks ever so much for being a friendly forum, the advice is great, have learnt a lot tonight. Of course the boot is on the other foot to my horseriding where I am doing the advising.

Very greatful, once again.

fossyant

Riding a bike - complicated - rights and wrongs - going tense isn't one of them.

It's probably a breathing thing with you - slow and deep, not shallow and fast - takes a massive amount of practice - I've been there on climbs with young lads (well 5 plus years younger than me then...OK....young when I was well seasoned at 23......) ....telling them how to breath as they were going like a turbo, rather than a steam loco....same applies now though, and I constantly remind myself how to breath !

This all takes time though, so think about breathing !

Don't ride tensed up - this expression you see is from the effort put in to spinning the gears - you'll actually just rest your hands on the bike, when fit....i.e. very little weight on your hands. The same goes for the saddle pressure - as you get fitter, the legs will naturally support more of your weight...

Don't try to take in too much - just try one thing at a time -at least it's all written down here and you can look back at it...

Top Bottom