Breaking-in a Brooks saddle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
How many miles miles/km will I have to put in before I reach the Promised Land of buttock bliss?

Any tips for softening it up, short of going all "Hell's Angel" and pissing on it?

PpPete

Legendary Member
If it's not comfortable from the outset - sell it. You either have a Brooks-shaped bum or you don't.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Really? I thought the whole point was that the Brooks took your shape.

Can't say that I'm uncomfortable, it's just I understood they needed to be broken-in like a pair of shoes.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought a friend a brooks saddle for his birthday a few years back. I also printed off a variety of softening solutions I'd found on the web which included (amongst others) making a tin foil container for the upturned saddle and filling it with I can't recall. I'd also found plenty of scare stories claiming it would take anything from 200 to 2000 miles to break one in. Fortunately he found it comfy out of the box, so the only way is up comfort wise. (i assume)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
After 27,000 miles I have just replaced my Brooks, I use to call it my 50 mile saddle as after that it was a pain in the arse. I have just bought a Selle SMP TRK I just hope this will be better, or maybe I have a bum that doesn't like saddles :sad:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Brooks saddles come in a variety of widths. Just like people. If it is the right width you just ride it. Eventually some indents appear where your sit bones are. It is then 'broken in'. As is your arse.

aberal

Guru
Just ride it. It'll gradually become less rigid and the comfiness is in the "flex" that results. Have you used proofide? Once a week for a month, then once a month for a year and then once a year was the old adage.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
See this bike. I don't ride it. Reason ? The Brooks saddle kills my arse. We hang clothes on it to dry them. Quite useful really.

IMG_0548.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just ride it. It'll gradually become less rigid and the comfiness is in the "flex" that results. Have you used proofide? Once a week for a month, then once a month for a year and then once a year was the old adage.
Once a day for a week...

is the first line of that adage.

Top Bottom