Breathable, semi waterproof jackets?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For windproof (and the ability to withstand the odd short shower), then the winter jacket from Decathlon. I've had mine for nearly five years now, and that was £50 well spent.

Hot on the heels of that is a windproof jacket with detachable sleeves that I picked up in Lidl for a tenner. It's lighter in weight, but able to withstand more rain than the Decathlon one. I actually wear it more as a gilet than a jacket, but often stash the sleeves in a pannier if I'm out all day.

For rain, I have an Umbro waterproof football training top which is vented across the back and has a hood that folds into the collar. It does the job very nicely. I've had it for nearly twenty years...

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Thanks everyone, I'll have a good look at all the suggestions.

Must admit I like the look of that Madison jacket 👍.

Wooger

Yeh it's not looking good!, I'm normally a large (44" chest).
Ha! In cycling sizes that's somewhere between XXL and XXXXXL based on my experience. I'm about a 48" chest, and a long bodied 6'5" so have even more trouble. Endura humvee jacket works OK for extreme rain & commuting, and I have a new Pearl Izumi amfib jacket in XXL that seems really nice, though haven't tried it yet.

That Endura commuter jacket is plenty big enough for me in the largest yellow size, so you will be fine - and it can be had quite cheap.

Gore Tex shakedry is the best I've found. Paper thin so you have to look after it - no backpack over the top for example.
Completely waterproof and pretty breathable too.

It definitely is. It's the most expensive bit of cycling clothing I've got but nowadays helmets are £200, glasses approaching that and bike shoes that cost as much as a fairly decent bike. I think it's worth it. (unlike the other bits I mentioned)
glasses £200??!! helmets £200??!!
I'd take care with that jacket, however good (I looked at one in a shop and it did seem to be a marvel) - accidents do happen and they don't have to be very serious to write-off something delicate - I bought a very lightweight sleek thing from polaris, not cheap at the full price (which it would cost me to replace) - pretty much on the first ride out in it feeling somewhat flash some kid shot off a side-pavement. I was fine, the bike was fine, but the jacket got two big gashes - anything else would I am sure have come out pretty much unscathed. It's now patched with duct tape :smile:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It definitely is. It's the most expensive bit of cycling clothing I've got but nowadays helmets are £200, glasses approaching that and bike shoes that cost as much as a fairly decent bike. I think it's worth it. (unlike the other bits I mentioned)
My prescription Oakleys were £300 but I can’t see without them (my last pair served me well for over 5 years). I wouldn’t spend £200 on a jacket that you implied is fragile!!

£200 on a helmet, wtaf

Top Bottom