Breathable, semi waterproof jackets?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For me the best jackets are the windproof fleece type jackets, which aren't really waterproof yet somehow you don't feel wet inside when you're cycling, even wearing a far-from-ideal old cotton t-shirt underneath (or office shirt on way home). Experienced based on 7 miles each way all-year-round all-weather (except ice) commuting. If doing a day ride I might want a thin waterproof jacket for stops. My jackets are a modestly priced altura one (not sure if still available) and a much nicer but objectively not much better assos one (itself not brutally costly as it was last-year's colour or summat). They're both made of something akin to Mountain Equipments semi-waterproof "aquafleece" so aren't per se more than water resistant

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Paramo is a good system for those who like it but maybe too warm for some.

Paramo is very much my choice for hillwalking, and indeed as a general anorak for going to the shops. They do do a cycle specific one, but I wonder if it's still a bit much for cycling, and unlike a fleecy jacket is likely to flap around somewhat. Still I've not tried one

For me the best jackets are the windproof fleece type jackets, which aren't really waterproof yet somehow you don't feel wet inside when you're cycling, even wearing a far-from-ideal old cotton t-shirt underneath (or office shirt on way home). Experienced based on 7 miles each way all-year-round all-weather (except ice) commuting. If doing a day ride I might want a thin waterproof jacket for stops. My jackets are a modestly priced altura one (not sure if still available) and a much nicer but objectively not much better assos one (itself not brutally costly as it was last-year's colour or summat). They're both made of something akin to Mountain Equipments semi-waterproof "aquafleece" so aren't per se more than water resistant
agree that if you are warm you don't necessarily need total water protection - I've finished some rides and on walking in the house and stripping off been surprised at how soaked I was :smile: One of my favourite semi waterproof tops came from Lidl and cost about £3.50 - it blocks wind very well and also breathes well. In SOME ways it reminds me of my much mourned (fell out of a Pannier :{ ) old Karrimor Pertex top.

Last edited:
I should stress I have never met him - could be a her for all I know.
So am fine without bleach aid.
Fear not. You can imagine me however you want.

I should stress that I don't pay that much for kit but I know people who do.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/met-manta-mips-road-helmet

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/oakley-kato-x-polished-black-prizm-road-sunglasses

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gaerne-carbon-g-stl-road-shoes-gold-rush

My outfit is much cheaper than this ! 😁

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I sweat a lot and value windproofness and breathability (they sound contradictory, don't you think?) over waterproofness in a jacket. My jacket of choice is an old (and cheap) Aldi/Crane jacket with windproof roubaix fleece style front panels and (most of the)arms, and a thin fleece back panel that offers no resistance to my breath when I breathe through it (this is the way I test how windproof a garment is) - the arms have similar material in the back of the forearms too (pretty much where you'd find a cuff placket in a shirt arm). I don't know whether the windproof panels are waterproof but they seem it and I've never had problems in light rain or short showers. If it's prolonged or heavy rain, I put my cape on. I don't think they're available any more but I've seen similar jackets sold elsewhere including Decathlon.

I find the jacket versatile for all cool/cold weather conditions by choosing and combining layers to wear underneath and sometimes I will wear a cheap quilted Decathlon gilet (not cycling-specific) either under or over it.

Top Bottom