Breathing some life into a laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
You don't have two antivirus packages installed at the same time do you?

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Oooooooo! That's a bit quicker.
SSD installed and it took about 30 seconds to get windows up from a complete cold start. I think the limiting factor is my typing speed for the PIN.

@DCBassman the slow time of the clean install is probably the speed of that old disk. The benchmark app said it was good against what other people have had for the same disk.

More than happy with the SSD. Now just need to reinstall everything. I'm going for the complete clean install rather than clone the old disk to get rid of the cr@p that must be there.

Oooooooo! That's a bit quicker.
SSD installed and it took about 30 seconds to get windows up from a complete cold start. I think the limiting factor is my typing speed for the PIN.

@DCBassman the slow time of the clean install is probably the speed of that old disk. The benchmark app said it was good against what other people have had for the same disk.

More than happy with the SSD. Now just need to reinstall everything. I'm going for the complete clean install rather than clone the old disk to get rid of the cr@p that must be there.
Absolutely. Cleaner, the better.
The other thing is maintenance. After every update, usually at the end of the week, on each drive, run Disk Clean Up. On mechanical drives, defrag. On SSDs, ensure defrag is turned off. It will reduce its lifespan otherwise, and does zero good anyhow.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
I'd love to see the BIOS pages, I'm sure something is amiss in there somewhere...
Here you go 584235

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Absolutely. Cleaner, the better.
The other thing is maintenance. After every update, usually at the end of the week, on each drive, run Disk Clean Up. On mechanical drives, defrag. On SSDs, ensure defrag is turned off. It will reduce its lifespan otherwise, and does zero good anyhow.
Yes, thanks. I know most that, but it's good to repeat for others to know about.
I've always kept documents etc on a different partition but the user accounts are always still on C: Is there any way of moving these too, or is it just a waste of time?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
HDD's, especially the 2.5 inch drives are extremely fragile. There are moving parts and bearings which dry out. They are often in mobile and so droppable machines which are also more susceptible to heat soak, again bad for mechanical drives. Drives can and do get tired. Also, given the age the platters can and do develop bad sectors or even an entire area of a platter which windows disk management and onboard management will detect and disregard in future data use. This can cause data to be fragmented and slow down read times noticeably and considerably.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
PIO needs the cpu to do the data transfer from disc. What other transfer options are available?

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
PIO needs the cpu to do the data transfer from disc. What other transfer options are available?
On the bios it's just IDE, AHCI, and RAID. I seem to remember there was a way of changing modes from Windows, but that was probably back in the XP or vista days and I haven't seen anything on win10. It's probably there somewhere, but I think it's all working now so I'm not going to delve any further

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On the bios it's just IDE, AHCI, and RAID. I seem to remember there was a way of changing modes from Windows, but that was probably back in the XP or vista days and I haven't seen anything on win10. It's probably there somewhere, but I think it's all working now so I'm not going to delve any further

The bios screen shot shows pio, can you not change it to more modern direct access methods?

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
HDD's, especially the 2.5 inch drives are extremely fragile. There are moving parts and bearings which dry out. They are often in mobile and so droppable machines which are also more susceptible to heat soak, again bad for mechanical drives. Drives can and do get tired. Also, given the age the platters can and do develop bad sectors or even an entire area of a platter which windows disk management and onboard management will detect and disregard in future data use. This can cause data to be fragmented and slow down read times noticeably and considerably.
Any (well most - I'm sure there is an exception) mechanical disk is vulnerable to shock and things wearing out. We had a control system running on a PC back in the early days of the IBM AT (remember them?) that wrote data to the 20MB disk every minute of so 24/7. We wore several disks out on each system every year. They literally fell apart and we were left with just dust inside the casing. Things started to get better when we moved on to IDE disks.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Any (well most - I'm sure there is an exception) mechanical disk is vulnerable to shock and things wearing out. We had a control system running on a PC back in the early days of the IBM AT (remember them?) that wrote data to the 20MB disk every minute of so 24/7. We wore several disks out on each system every year. They literally fell apart and we were left with just dust inside the casing. Things started to get better when we moved on to IDE disks.
Yes and the old spin up noise. Like screaming banshees...

Top Bottom