Breathing some life into a laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Removing the motherboard is one thing I didn’t do, but will make my next job.

I checked the main power connector from the PSU to the motherboard: all within spec when powering on the machine.
Fair enough, looking like the mobo...but I still get an itch that says PSU...My secondary machine would only power up after being connected to the mains for 20 minutes. If it was left plugged in, no issue. Main resevoir capacitor dying and rather bulgy...

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
@LeetleGreyCells Unless something is revealed underneath the motherboard, it may be easiest to just look at a new (or second hand) machine. What desktop is it? How old? How does the cost of a new motherboard and/or PSU compare?
Of course, you might be looking at this as a challenge, so cost and effort is not so imporatnt...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
@LeetleGreyCells Unless something is revealed underneath the motherboard, it may be easiest to just look at a new (or second hand) machine. What desktop is it? How old? How does the cost of a new motherboard and/or PSU compare?
Of course, you might be looking at this as a challenge, so cost and effort is not so imporatnt...
I don't like spending pennies, never mind pounds. Basically, I'm a tight git.

A secondhand motherboard is £45. Haven't priced a PSU yet.

I'll remove, check and clean under the motherboard tomorrow and if no joy, I'll order the mobo. If then still no joy, PSU.

The machine I've got is good spec. The only thing it's lacking to make it better (when it's working) is an SSD which will be the final job. I'll still keep the HDD though as extra storage (couldn't bear to let it go to waste).

I don't like spending pennies, never mind pounds. Basically, I'm a tight git.

A secondhand motherboard is £45. Haven't priced a PSU yet.

I'll remove, check and clean under the motherboard tomorrow and if no joy, I'll order the mobo. If then still no joy, PSU.

The machine I've got is good spec. The only thing it's lacking to make it better (when it's working) is an SSD which will be the final job. I'll still keep the HDD though as extra storage (couldn't bear to let it go to waste).
Agree with all of that! What's the actual spec?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
@LeetleGreyCells Could be a corrupt/bricked bios and usually a bios chip replacement is in order. I've replaced a few in the past. The most recent was on a rare EVGA classified SR-2 which fetch a pretty penny on ebay... That was stuck in a boot on and off instance.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If it's that, it might be easier to just replace the motherboard.
You'll need an SMD rework station ideally. Realistically the situation you describe is never good. Usually if the bios can't even beep at you to indicate a fault then the motherboard is always number one culprit for me. Other than resetting CMOS as you have tried, you can only do as has been suggested. I'd go as far as to remove everything off the board including CPU to see if the board reacts differently when powered.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
You'll need an SMD rework station ideally.
Definitely don‘t have one of those :laugh:

I'd go as far as to remove everything off the board including CPU to see if the board reacts differently when powered.
As I’m going to try @DCBassman ’s suggestion of checking the back of the motherboard, I can do this at the same time. I’ll report back.

Next: install stock BIOS onto my graphics card.
This was donated to me by my son. It's had a hard gaming life, and is prone to instability if pushed.
It's a superclocked GTX Titan X, so rather than mess with a tweaker programme to reduce the clocks, it seems simpler to fix them permanently at the stock frequencies.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Wow! That's great news.

What's next on the list....
Next for me is to replace desktop’s boot drive with SSD (using old HDD for storage only, waste not want not). SSD and mounting bracket plus cables ordered and on their way. Then that PC will be done until I can eventually find a smaller case for it rather than the large and unwieldy one it’s in at the minute (but that’ll come much later). Then I need two need laptop batteries to finish those off.

And after? I’m sure I’ll find something :whistle:

desktop’s boot drive with SSD (using old HDD for storage
This, always this. But my take on it is to get a 128GB SSD and leave it all to C drive, rather than partition a bigger SSD. Then it can be left entirely to its own devices, yet has plenty of space for whatever Windows wants to do. Every month or so, I run Disk Clean-up, including system files, to get rid of junk and install files and keep the system drive as clean as I can. Seems to work, this machine screams along!

The other day, I stole the middling SSD out of my old Dell 1735 to see how the TV/Movies PC would like it. It sings!
So, just waiting on a newer and quicker one to go back in the laptop. This machine takes two drives, so it will have, as previously described, a 120GB C drive, with everything possible offloaded from it, like Downloads, and a 500GB HDD in the 2nd slot. It was entirely usable with the slow (!) SSD, a Crucial M500. It should prove nippier with the new one!

Top Bottom