Breathing techniques advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

I'm still a newbie at this and as I'm overweight and relatively unfit, I find my breathing is all over the place. When I think about it and I'm not on a hill, I can breathe through my nose and out through my mouth. Is this a good way to go? Do you think about your breathing or are you naturally relaxed about it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally, I just breath, unless I am going too hard, in which case I gasp and turn a funny colour

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm normal weight and am reasonably fit but that doesn't help my breathing - normally very shallow, so when I'm going up hills I'm soon feeling a lack of oxygen. Work offer a biennial health assessment which includes a peak flow spirometer test. I always post a low reading in that test.

HAve been reading about Graeme Obree's breathing technique, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

S-Express

As above ^^. Your autonomic nervous system is a wonderful thing. It takes care of breathing for you. Don't overthink it. In fact, don't even think it at all - you don't have to.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Due to my propensity for breathing through my mouth, I gain much added protein by swallowing every passing winged bug...
Luckily, on a night ride, a mate was in front of me and caught a large moth, as it was heading my way, and spent half an hour coughing and hiccing it up!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm still a newbie at this and as I'm overweight and relatively unfit, I find my breathing is all over the place. When I think about it and I'm not on a hill, I can breathe through my nose and out through my mouth. Is this a good way to go? Do you think about your breathing or are you naturally relaxed about it.
I don't really think about it, but I probably breathe in and out through my mouth and nose together most of the time (not as much nose in winter, when the amount of snot generated by cold air tends to block my nose a bit).

Just breathe - you're cycling, not doing one of those exercise classes where they tell you how to breathe as well as what to do.

boydj

Legendary Member
I find that when I'm working hard that I have to make a conscious effort to breathe deeply, otherwise I'd find myself panting with relatively short, shallow breaths.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If breathing hard and passing a farm or field of cows, clench your teeth in the hope of keeping out any flies that you might inhale.

Top Bottom