Brest to Nantes canal ride May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

looe

Hi,
I am doing the Brest to Nantes Canal ride end of May this year. Does anyone know a nice route from Roscoff to Brest (or really south of Brest) ?
Is there any do or dont's on my canal ride. I am cycle camping and use a Burley Nomad trailer (with roof rack !!!!)
Can't wait..............

andym

Über Member
There's a voie verte that arrives at the entrance to the ferry terminal, which heads south (although Roscoff itself is well worth a visit), it goes through some nice villages.

There are maps of the network here and here. I think the voie verte picks up the canal at Carhaix - but I am speaking from ignorance here. I'm not saying the voies vertes are necessarily the best option as sometimes they take you past villages rather than through them - but it could be the basis of a route. Otherwise if you're not in a hurry you could plan a route around the medieval village churches ('enclos paroissaux') or lighthouse spotting.

Well the obvious 'don't' for a canal ride is don't fall in....

OP
OP
looe

looe

There's a voie verte that arrives at the entrance to the ferry terminal, which heads south (although Roscoff itself is well worth a visit), it goes through some nice villages.

There are maps of the network here and here. I think the voie verte picks up the canal at Carhaix - but I am speaking from ignorance here. I'm not saying the voies vertes are necessarily the best option as sometimes they take you past villages rather than through them - but it could be the basis of a route. Otherwise if you're not in a hurry you could plan a route around the medieval village churches ('enclos paroissaux') or lighthouse spotting.

Well the obvious 'don't' for a canal ride is don't fall in....

Thanks Andym

Redvers

I’ve travelled along sections of the Nantes–Brest canal 4 times now, always in high summer when it’s been great to escape from the hot sun and under the tree canopy of the canal.

The canal is wide (by comparison with English canals) the tow path is well maintained and for the most part should fine for a trailer.

A few of things to bear in mind:

The canal does not run all the way to Brest or to Nantes for that matter.

If you’re keen to cycle as much of the canal as possible starting in the west, it’s probably best to join the canal just south of Pleyben (near Chateaulin)

A nice route to there from Roscoff would be Roscoff-Plouenan-Guimiliau-St Rivoal-Brasparts-Pleyben.

Most of the canal route is surprising quiet, just the occasional walkers and local cyclists, except around Lac du Guerledan which is a family holiday area.

There are a few old lock keeper cottages which turn into makeshift cafes for the summer but it’s advisable to carry some basic food and drink so as to avoid having to head off the canal in search of provisions.

The canal is 365 km long and can get a bit tedious, you might actually start to miss hills and traffic! It’s worth considering adding a bit of road time in to the tour, between Lac du Guerledan and Pontivy perhaps.

If you don’t already have it try to pick up a copy of Wendy Mewes ‘The Nantes-Brest Canal’ a good guide guide for walkers and cyclists.

Bon Route

http://www.amazon.co...94840546&sr=1-2

OP
OP
looe

looe

I’ve travelled along sections of the Nantes–Brest canal 4 times now, always in high summer when it’s been great to escape from the hot sun and under the tree canopy of the canal.

The canal is wide (by comparison with English canals) the tow path is well maintained and for the most part should fine for a trailer.

A few of things to bear in mind:

The canal does not run all the way to Brest or to Nantes for that matter.

If you’re keen to cycle as much of the canal as possible starting in the west, it’s probably best to join the canal just south of Pleyben (near Chateaulin)

A nice route to there from Roscoff would be Roscoff-Plouenan-Guimiliau-St Rivoal-Brasparts-Pleyben.

Most of the canal route is surprising quiet, just the occasional walkers and local cyclists, except around Lac du Guerledan which is a family holiday area.

There are a few old lock keeper cottages which turn into makeshift cafes for the summer but it’s advisable to carry some basic food and drink so as to avoid having to head off the canal in search of provisions.

The canal is 365 km long and can get a bit tedious, you might actually start to miss hills and traffic! It’s worth considering adding a bit of road time in to the tour, between Lac du Guerledan and Pontivy perhaps.

If you don’t already have it try to pick up a copy of Wendy Mewes ‘The Nantes-Brest Canal’ a good guide guide for walkers and cyclists.

Bon Route

Thank you Redvers for useful information. I will NOT miss the hills as I live in Cornwall!!!! I have the Mewes book, looks useful.

Falwheeler

Hi Looe, I also live in Cornwall, Falmouth and I'm doing the Nante Brest canal in early June. I have a friend who lives in Brittany and will meeting up with him at Landivisiau to start at Chateaulin. As Redvers suggest we will be deviating from the canal to make it a bit more interesting. A book I have found useful is the Red Dog guide available from Amazon. I hope you have a great trip, half the fun is in the planning.

OP
OP
looe

looe

Hi Looe, I also live in Cornwall, Falmouth and I'm doing the Nante Brest canal + more in early June. I have a friend who lives in Brittany and will meeting up with him at Landivisiau to start at Chateaulin. As Redvers suggest we will be deviating from the canal to make it a bit more interesting. A book I have found useful is the Red Dog guide available from Amazon. I hope you have a great trip, half the fun is in the planning.

Hi Falwheeler, we maybe meet along the route. I am going end of May into June for 3 weeks. I have the red dog book. Been biking down your end as well. St Mawes, Falmouth and around............nice. Do you know where I can find the cheapest tickets for the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry ?

Falwheeler

Hi Looe, I'm not sure on dates yet but it will be early June. I go to Brittany with our cycle club a couple of times a year usually just for a long weekend and some times go for longer and stay with a friend who lives there now. I don't think it's possible to buy them cheaper anywhere but you can save money by avoiding traveling at the weekend and by going during the day, if you travel at night you will have to have a cabin or a reclining seat. Try Brittany Ferries web site for a price. http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes you will go as a foot passenger with a bike but your trailer may complicate things, you may need to ring and explain

xilios

Veteran
We rode along the Nantes/Brest canal last year, nice ride. For pics and some info click here
I recomend a visit to the chateau in Josseline, if you ask nicely at the ticket office you can park the bikes on the grounds while you visit.
Campings are everywhere and they are cheap. The campings where we stayed were all good but a couple of you need to bring food and drink along or you'll need to ride back not the nearest village.
The whole area is very nice and my wife and I will definatly be going back.
cheers

OP
OP
looe

looe

We rode along the Nantes/Brest canal last year, nice ride. For pics and some info click here
I recomend a visit to the chateau in Josseline, if you ask nicely at the ticket office you can park the bikes on the grounds while you visit.
Campings are everywhere and they are cheap. The campings where we stayed were all good but a couple of you need to bring food and drink along or you'll need to ride back not the nearest village.
The whole area is very nice and my wife and I will definatly be going back.
cheers

Thank you so much Xilios. Nice pics. Can't wait to go.

Top Bottom