Breyne attempts suicide after positive doping test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You really didn't need to post this, in fact, all your posts on this thread have been rather unecessary not to say callous. I may have been mistaken but, as far as I can recall, you've always seemed a pretty reasonable kind of bloke on this forum - so I don't understand why you're behaving like you are on this one.

I really didn't think I was being callous - and I write as someone who has lost two close friends to suicide. The biological father of my (4) kids took his own life four and a bit years ago and so I live with the long term fallout from suicide on a daily basis. Many members of my immediate and extended family have experienced various sorts of mental illness nad I've been close to the bottom myself a couple of times. I like to think that I have a high degree of emotional intelligence and empathy, and I'm finding people's wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over-the-top responses to my posts rather disconcerting.

What I was trying to say is that - in a situation like this where someone has been accused of taking performance enhancing drugs, that the suicide attempt rather suggests that they are guilty*. I don't think that can be agued with can it? Innocent people in this scenario don't tend to want to top themselves. Innocent people tend to pretest their innocence. I'm no expert on performance enhancing drugs or on suicide, and like any one who tries to deal with the world on a rational basis I'd be happy to be proved wrong - but it stands to reason dunnit? I'm not going to pussyfoot around people who've attempted suicide, and I'm not going to pussyfoot around the sensitive souls on this board who've taken such umbrage on behalf of the suicidal at my perceived meanness towards them.

(*Either that or his suicidal depression just happened to coincide with his positive test result...)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ah.... the I can't be racist because I've got foreign friends defence, coupled with the bin there got the tee shirt cliche as well.

Sorry Mickle I still take umbrage at your IMO insensitive remarks, you can't play the out of context card either - and it seems I'm not alone in thinking your posts were inappropriate. I too am surprised as you do seem to come across on here as rather rationale most of the time.

oldroadman

Veteran
I really didn't think I was being callous - and I write as someone who has lost two close friends to suicide. The biological father of my (4) kids took his own life four and a bit years ago and so I live with the long term fallout from suicide on a daily basis. Many members of my immediate and extended family have experienced various sorts of mental illness nad I've been close to the bottom myself a couple of times. I like to think that I have a high degree of emotional intelligence and empathy, and I'm finding people's wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over-the-top responses to my posts rather disconcerting.

What I was trying to say is that - in a situation like this where someone has been accused of taking performance enhancing drugs, that the suicide attempt rather suggests that they are guilty*. I don't think that can be agued with can it? Innocent people in this scenario don't tend to want to top themselves. Innocent people tend to pretest their innocence. I'm no expert on performance enhancing drugs or on suicide, and like any one who tries to deal with the world on a rational basis I'd be happy to be proved wrong - but it stands to reason dunnit? I'm not going to pussyfoot around people who've attempted suicide, and I'm not going to pussyfoot around the sensitive souls on this board who've taken such umbrage on behalf of the suicidal at my perceived meanness towards them.

(*Either that or his suicidal depression just happened to coincide with his positive test result...)
Reading the reports, the suicide attempt was alleged to be rooted in some very unpleasant social media stuff, not the actual non-negative result. I don't think it's reasonable to assume anything until the poor guy recovers and has a chance to state his case. If he's been stupid, then he will get punished. But at the end of the day it's a sporting matter, and nobody should be trying to take their own life about it. All so very sad.

Ah.... the I can't be racist because I've got foreign friends defence, coupled with the bin there got the tee shirt cliche as well.

Sorry Mickle I still take umbrage at your IMO insensitive remarks, you can't play the out of context card either - and it seems I'm not alone in thinking your posts were inappropriate. I too am surprised as you do seem to come across on here as rather rationale most of the time.

I think I am being rational. And I think that you lot are being a bit irrational. It is sad, of course it's sad, but you lot need to get a grip.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Innocent (but very, very careless) or guilty, the result for him is pretty much the same. I fail to see how the suicide attempt will help the outcome either way. What seems clearer is that, whatever the cause, his cycling career and good name has gone forever. That's a depressing enough prospect for a young man.

Top Bottom