Breyne attempts suicide after positive doping test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What tripe.

Not really, Clenbuterol tends to collect in the muscle of the animal, giving leaner,met with a huger meat to fat ratio. The stomach would not be affected inthe same way

Tripe would not lead to a positive test whereas a steak would.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You are assuming that they had a choice.

Its use to bulk up cattle is endemic in Japan and China.

Cyclists in their position do not have a freezer van with approved meat stocks from a UK farm that is certified ethically safe.

They eat local produce and that is one of the issues with this particular drug.

Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish between doping and accident, and there will always be the problem of what to do with these riders.

I am only surmising, but If I were in that situation, knowing that there was no way I could ever prove my innocence, and even if I did there would be those who would still think I was doping.............then it would be a very dark place to be in

I'm going to get a bit fed up with doing this, but China, yes - there is a major recorded problem, as there is in Mexico - not Japan. They are not the same place or even very similar in this respect. For a start, clenbuterol is used to make meat lean, whereas the Japanese like their meat marbled...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Team chef puts food in front of the cyclist - cyclist eats it.

Who is the fool?
Still the cyclist. He's the one who has been warned by WADA to steer (geddit?) clear of meat in China, and he's the one who will suffer from the consequences.

400bhp

Guru
Still the cyclist. He's the one who has been warned by WADA to steer (geddit?) clear of meat in China, and he's the one who will suffer from the consequences.

Perhaps.

But won't it be a bit of "do this, eat that, go here, ride this bike, compete in this, sit in front of Y until the last climb "?

More likely to be immaturity by a young rider than stupidity IMO.

Professionals know exactly what to avoid wherever they are in this world. They are given access to extensive literature, professional guidance and support in terms of diet and what to avoid. New diets, cuisines and medications are always cleared by subject matter experts. Sadly they are the worst dinner and party companions because of the control they exercise and the regime they follow in terms of their food and drinks intake.

Lets not place those who are genuinely suffering from mental health or those facing a personal crisis with no end in sight in the same basket as those are caught out trying to take shortcuts in life.

Lets also not give oxygen to those who are not medically or mentally ill claiming all kinds of medical and mental conditions to avoid retribution. Bipolar and depressions are the usual flavours for those who can afford to buy medical excuses when they are caught for various acts of sillyness from road rage to shoplifting. The rest of society face the music and hopefully learn from it.

If one is a true medical or mental professional, they can tell the difference.

oldroadman

Veteran
I feel very sorry for the rider, reading reports it seems that the issue was with abusive comments in social media following the leaking of a positive test. If that was enough to depress him into wanting to take his own life, he needs help, and quickly. No-one should have to put up with the sort of disgusting abuse that is sometimes seen on social media.
This makes the Mickle comments more than unfortunate. I'll say no more on that subject, they are unworthy of response.
The test for clenbuterol was refined not long before the Contador positive, and can detect evidence of absolutely minute quantities of this substance. Before this development it may well have been that contaminated food would produce such low readings that they could not be determined properly, and many riders may have been affected.
Odd though some people seem to find it, as a pro you race where you are told, and if the team chef produces food you trust him. If this was the case (and there is no evidence either way in the public domain, quite rightly) then the rider should get the benefit of the doubt. If the result shows a high reading (again unknown) then there may be a different reading.
All that is certain is that a young rider ended up being stomach pumped because he was shattered and depressed by what had happened, and he needs support, not pointless speculative comments from know-nothings.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
I feel very sorry for the rider, reading reports it seems that the issue was with abusive comments in social media following the leaking of a positive test. If that was enough to depress him into wanting to take his own life, he needs help, and quickly. No-one should have to put up with the sort of disgusting abuse that is sometimes seen on social media.
This makes the Mickle comments more than unfortunate. I'll say no more on that subject, they are unworthy of response.
The test for clenbuterol was refined not long before the Contador positive, and can detect evidence of absolutely minute quantities of this substance. Before this development it may well have been that contaminated food would produce such low readings that they could not be determined properly, and many riders may have been affected.
Odd though some people seem to find it, as a pro you race where you are told, and if the team chef produces food you trust him. If this was the case (and there is no evidence either way in the public domain, quite rightly) then the rider should get the benefit of the doubt. If the result shows a high reading (again unknown) then there may be a different reading.
All that is certain is that a young rider ended up being stomach pumped because he was shattered and depressed by what had happened, and he needs support, not pointless speculative comments from know-nothings.
well put sir.

As above, it is possible to test hair for Clenbuterol.

The difference is that whilst the present tests show minute quantities that could be from recent eating of contaminated food, the presence in hair is diagnostic of longer term presence in the system, implying regular dosage or use

Hair and urine tests positive = abuse

Urine positive, hair negative = food contamination

The answer is simple, put the second test into the testing regime

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hair testing has other problems, however. I know some people who've done research into hair testing in the context of the mining industry (off-site drug use being a big problem if you are using massive machinery and explosives) and who have found that it is far from reliable.

Top Bottom