Breyne attempts suicide after positive doping test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that my asthma inhaler is clenbuterol. I might be wrong.

Any chance that it could have got into his system in an innocent manner or are all pro cyclists immediately guilty?

You would be surprised just what is banned!

There is always a chance that it was accidental if it is one of those that is present in commonly used medications.

Many cough medicines, cold treatments and other simple remedies contain banned substances.

Of course some can be used if required under a Therapeutic Use Exemption

Of course Clenbuterol has been found in food products and this is the defence offered by Contador and others.

There is an interesting article here

To get rid of what was pretty much endemic doping, cycling had to get hard on dopers. Cyclists know this. You'd have to be pretty stupid to go out for a clenbuterol chow mein if you're a pro cyclist in China. Or you'd reckon that you could push the rules because there's clenbuterol abuse in the Chinese food chain and it could be a solid defence. In this case, ''innocent'' is either very stupid or calculated cheating. I'd credit him with some intelligence....

You are assuming that they had a choice.

Its use to bulk up cattle is endemic in Japan and China.

Cyclists in their position do not have a freezer van with approved meat stocks from a UK farm that is certified ethically safe.

They eat local produce and that is one of the issues with this particular drug.

Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish between doping and accident, and there will always be the problem of what to do with these riders.

I am only surmising, but If I were in that situation, knowing that there was no way I could ever prove my innocence, and even if I did there would be those who would still think I was doping.............then it would be a very dark place to be in

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm a mental health nurse and know how incorrect, insensitive your statement is and how much stigma uneducated statements like yours cause.

As to who could be offended?....The people I've nursed who've attempted suicide, the children and adolescents, the elderly who've been diagnosed with terminal illnesses and all their loved ones and significant others. Is that list long enough? How about the 3 teenagers from my local area who committed suicide due to cyber bullying? What were they guilty off?

I'm a mental health nurse and know how incorrect, insensitive your statement is and how much stigma uneducated statements like yours cause.

As to who could be offended?....The people I've nursed who've attempted suicide, the children and adolescents, the elderly who've been diagnosed with terminal illnesses and all their loved ones and significant others. Is that list long enough? How about the 3 teenagers from my local area who committed suicide due to cyber bullying? What were they guilty off?
So. You're offended on all these folk's behalf?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
On whose behalf are you offended?
I am quite offended by it.
As you are obviously an expert, can you tell me what crime/offence that I committed to feel 'guilty' enough to take an overdose when my depression was overwheming. As far as I know I was totally innocent of any misdemeanour but I was in absolute despair and felt that I had nothing to live for.
Maybe this chap feels the same.

tigger

Über Member
I'm generally too thick skinned to be offended but your post is poor taste Mickel, not to mention a tad stupid too...

Oh ffs. In a situation like this - where someone attempts suicide after being caught out i think its safe to assume that the person is guilty of the charges. Suicide isnt the exclusive preserve of the mentally ill or depressed. People do attempt or commit suicide out of shame and embarrassment. They dont tend to top themselves after being wrongly accused.

Thank you for illustrating exactly the attitude that could force an innocent person into believing that they are going to be persecuted and condemned regardless of any actual evidence.... and hence wondering if there is a future

He may be guilty, he may be not guilty - that needs an investigation and then action taken on the results.

Hysterical claims that he attempted suicide is "proof" is absurd

tigger

Über Member
Oh ffs. In a situation like this - where someone attempts suicide after being caught out i think its safe to assume that the person is guilty of the charges. Suicide isnt the exclusive preserve of the mentally ill or depressed. People do attempt or commit suicide out of shame and embarrassment. They dont tend to top themselves after being wrongly accused.

He tested positive, he must be a witch... Burn him!

What would be interesting is if the UCI / WADA started looking at alternative tests for this drug that have a validity in proving guilt.

There is some proof that extended use of clenbuterol will lead to a presence in hair follicles, whilst in a contaminated food case this would not be the case.

Thank you for illustrating exactly the attitude that could force an innocent person into believing that they are going to be persecuted and condemned regardless of any actual evidence.... and hence wondering if there is a future

He may be guilty, he may be not guilty - that needs an investigation and then action taken on the results.

Hysterical claims that he attempted suicide is "proof" is absurd
What tripe.

Top Bottom