Brian Robinson Challenge - Entries Closing Soon!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are looking for a tough little sportive which raises money for good causes (prostate cancer research and the Dave Rayner Fund), why not have a go at this year's Brian Robinson Challenge?

I rode it last year and had a good time (write-up in my blog - here) but I can't afford it this time round. :biggrin:

I don't think that they have advertised it enough this year so they haven't sold out and have extended entries until Monday. If you fancy a good selection of tough northern hills including the wicked Wessenden Head and Holme Moss, get yourself signed up quick!

Come and have ago if you think you're hard enough! :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
I looked at this one my self and really fancied it but I had made plans to be in Newcastle that weekend so I have to save hard myself to be able to achieve that, I can see I am going to have a good 3 weeks leave.

Ceedee

Shame about the turn out for this event (247) but like you say Colin it is not advertised very well. I have covered a lot of this area and it is a great area to ride in. I don't know if I can get the time off but if I can I will.

For charity Colin I will cover your entry if you fancy the ride, but only if I am doing it as well. I will check on Saturday 10th if I can get the time off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ceedee said:
Shame about the turn out for this event (247) but like you say Colin it is not advertised very well. I have covered a lot of this area and it is a great area to ride in. I don't know if I can get the time off but if I can I will.

For charity Colin I will cover your entry if you fancy the ride, but only if I am doing it as well. I will check on Saturday 10th if I can get the time off.
Blimey Ceedee, that's generous of you! I'd feel a bit funny letting you do that, but as you say - it is for charity and they wouldn't be getting the money otherwise. I tell you what - if we go for it, I'll top that up with another £10 contribution (or give you £10 towards it).

It's unfortunate, but I just can't afford £25 events this year so I'm otherwise sticking to audax rides which are much more affordable. That, and organising CycleChat forum rides of course which only cost me what I spend at the cafe stops.

It potentially calls my bluff though because my fitness isn't super and it is quite a tough route. Having said that, I have good hilly 70 mile rides both this weekend and the next so they would help in preparation. I'd also have lower gears at my disposal than I had last year so my iffy back would have a better chance of surviving the ride.

I should warn you if you wanted to ride with me - I'm currently pretty slow at climbing! If you wouldn't mind waiting at the tops of the climbs then I'd be pleased to have the company. If you wanted to burn on ahead, obviously that would be okay though.

Let me know if you get the day off and want to go ahead. Don't forget - entries close at noon on Monday.

Ceedee

ColinJ said:
Blimey Ceedee, that's generous of you! I'd feel a bit funny letting you do that, but as you say - it is for charity and they wouldn't be getting the money otherwise. I tell you what - if we go for it, I'll top that up with another £10 contribution (or give you £10 towards it).

It's unfortunate, but I just can't afford £25 events this year so I'm otherwise sticking to audax rides which are much more affordable. That, and organising CycleChat forum rides of course which only cost me what I spend at the cafe stops.

It potentially calls my bluff though because my fitness isn't super and it is quite a tough route. Having said that, I have good hilly 70 mile rides both this weekend and the next so they would help in preparation. I'd also have lower gears at my disposal than I had last year so my iffy back would have a better chance of surviving the ride.

I should warn you if you wanted to ride with me - I'm currently pretty slow at climbing! If you wouldn't mind waiting at the tops of the climbs then I'd be pleased to have the company. If you wanted to burn on ahead, obviously that would be okay though.

Let me know if you get the day off and want to go ahead. Don't forget - entries close at noon on Monday.

Fingers crossed for the day off, I will let you know on Saturday plus register. I don't know about burn on ahead but my brother is up for it as well and he does like to go for it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ceedee said:
Fingers crossed for the day off, I will let you know on Saturday plus register. I don't know about burn on ahead but my brother is up for it as well and he does like to go for it.
Ceedee - my family are now 'sponsoring' me. I'll put £10 in and they'll add £15.

I'll register myself once I know you've read this post.

Once again - thanks for the offer - very kind of you. I hadn't really thought about how much I enjoyed last year's event until you made your suggestion!

Numbers have crept up to 249 250 now.

Ceedee

ColinJ said:
Ceedee - my family are now 'sponsoring' me. I'll put £10 in and they'll add £15.

I'll register myself once I know you've read this post.

Once again - thanks for the offer - very kind of you. I hadn't really thought about how much I enjoyed last year's event until you made your suggestion!

Numbers have crept up to 249 250 now.

No problem Colin, hopefully I will see you there.

All the best. Chris.

Svendo

Guru
I'm in for this, it'll be my third year doing it in a row.
It is annoying getting to Huddersfield early on Sunday, an expensive taxi ride or a lot of extra hilly miles, then cycling back to within 4 miles of my house on the route!

aJohnson

This looks good, I'm free on the 25th and I'm able to get a lift, was thinking about the Wrynose or Bust but I think 112miles of hills is too much for me at the moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just worked out that I'll be riding 35 miles there-and-back with 1,300 ft of extra climbing (56 km, 400 m). I don't think that I'll enjoy the climb back up the A640 to Outlane much but at least it is an easy run back from there via Greetland and Copley. I'll probably ride the Calder Valley Cycleway back from Sowerby Bridge so I don't have to think about traffic when I'm tired.

Ceedee

Just a thought, I haven't seen any mention of timing the ride or seen any results from previous years. What method do they use if any or what did they use last year?

Svendo

Guru
Ceedee said:
Just a thought, I haven't seen any mention of timing the ride or seen any results from previous years. What method do they use if any or what did they use last year?

The ride is a mass start at 9.00am, and is self timed (look at the time when you finish, using the 24hour clock, then subtract 9 from the hours figure and there you are :biggrin:.)

Top Bottom